Savage Dragon Variants Purged From Database

I just ran a content update and took a look at the unrecognised items and noticed the following Savage Dragon variants were purged from the database:

Savage Dragon, The 6/A
Savage Dragon, The 7/A
Savage Dragon, The 8/A
Savage Dragon, The 10/A
Savage Dragon, The 12/A
Savage Dragon, The 13/A
Savage Dragon, The 18/A

I checked Atomic Avenue and they aren't listed there either.

10/A and 13/A both have different covers from the regular editions, and 13/A  contains an entirely different story and art, so they definitely should be listed as variants.

As to the rest, these are newsstand variants which feature a barcode on the cover (which the direct editions do not have), and they are also printed on newsprint paper instead of the glossy paper the direct editions are printed on. I can vouch for this as I have all of the above variants in my collection. 

In my opinion these are significant differences and should be considered variants.

I would really like to know the rationale behind removing them.

Thanks! 

I've had all the variants listed above in my collection for years and they are only now showing up as unrecognised items.

From a collector's point of view, the kind of paper a comic is printed on makes a difference to me. I would would much rather have the glossy paper than newsprint as the glossy paper ages much better.  I know that if I bought a comic off of Atomic Avenue with the expectation that it was printed on glossy paper and instead received one printed on newsprint, I would not be happy.  

And for what it's worth, I bought all the newsstand editions from mycomicshop.com, and they listed the newsstand and direct editions separately. 

• Like 1

If the variants have different paper, usually that also resulted in a different cover price and that would automatically qualify those variants as trackable in CB as separate items.  

Personally, even if the cover price was the same, I would recommend that the variants be tracked separately if the paper stock is different.  

Maybe it is worth bringing this up at this week's Livestream?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gregory Hecht said:

Personally, even if the cover price was the same, I would recommend that the variants be tracked separately if the paper stock is different.  

Maybe it is worth bringing this up at this week's Livestream? 

Thanks. I'd appreciate that. I wish I could participate in the Livestream, but the timing just doesn't work for me. 

Edited by Andrew d’Entremont