Navigation arrows for next and previous titles showing non-owned titles

Ron Stoecker

I'm trying out the free version before buying and I'm having an issue with titles that I don't have comics in showing up.  When I use the arrows in the top right of the application for next and previous title I can see the titles I've added comics to, but I also see titles that I have no comics in.  I have the View - Items to Show set to Owned Items only.  Rain Like Hammers always shows up, the other titles appear to be random.  No issues show up, just the titles when I toggle through...

Here you go... I did have Comicbase installed maybe 2 months ago, but uninstalled it after a brief evaluation.  When I reinstalled today with the latest version available I saw comic records from my previous evaluation of it.  So I uninstalled comicbase and deleted any traces I could find under Program Files x86 and my User folder.  I then re-installed and it generated a new database at start up.

image.png.bf34319e955bf0f0f5f0bee831ab8fdb.png

I uninstalled Comicbase, deleted the Human Computing folders wherever I found them.  A search of my entire C drive only showed the downloaded install binary.  I re-installed and the first title that comes up is Batman and Robin, I then toggled through with the arrows and it went to the next titles alphabetically like it should showing the comics in that series.  I then checked the Owned Items under view, then when I arrow through it jumps to all different series, not in order just in some random fashion, but Rain Like Hammers is always shown almost every other title.  Keep in mind I haven't entered a single issue yet.  

If I change the View Option back to All Items it toggles through titles in alphabetic order like it should.

I entered one comic in a title (verified because that's the only thing that shows up when I create a collection report) but when I toggle using the arrows I get titles I don't own comics for.  

I verified the problem.Addi

I downloaded CB Free v21.0.4.1907 and installed on a computer (after renaming all old Databases and uninstalling CB and Resources.
Opened CB.
Change qty to 1 for 2 Titles (chosen randomly but wanted them non-consecutive)
"Heist" & "Helden (ideenschmiede)"
Changed Items to Show to Owned Items.
Starting on "Heist", clicking the Left Navigation Arrow, I just get a 'beep' as there are no other 'owned' Titles before it.
Clicking on Right Navigation Arrow, it jumps to "Helden (ideenschmiede)" (skipping the un-owned titles between them).
Clicking on Right Navigation Arrow again, Jumps to "Rain Like Hammers".
Repeated clicking on Right Navigation Arrow, Jumps to Random Titles (one at a time) then back to the first Owned Title ("Heist").
So starting from "Heist" Clicking Right Navigation Arrow results in:

Heist" & "Helden (ideenschmiede)
Rain Like Hammers
Plants Vs. Zombies: Better Homes and Gardens
Rain Like Hammers
The Four Kunoichi: Bloodlust (Random Title)
Heist (first Owned Title)
Heist" & "Helden (ideenschmiede) (second Owned Title)
Rain Like Hammers
The Goon: Once Upon A Hard Time (random Title)
Heist (first Owned Title)
Heist" & "Helden (ideenschmiede) (second Owned Title)
Rain Like Hammers
Mara of the Celts Book 2 (random Title)
Rain Like Hammers

NOTE: Some times it is 1, 2 or 3 Random Title after Rain Like Hammers

Additional Information:
Back on my real computer using CB 2021 Archive Edition, I found the following:
Set Items to View -> Owned Items
Opened Titles window (CTRL+T) and select Titles in Stock.
Went to the Next to last Title "Zero Hour: Crisis in Time"
Clicking the Right Navigation Arrow resulted in Going to Titles:

Zorro: The Complete Dell Pre-Code Comics Adventures (my Last Owned Title).
Fanny & Romeo (I don't own any of these)
Fantastic Four (Vol. 1) (the first Title after Fanny & Romeo that I own)
Then it continued on to only Titles I owned.

If I start with "Zero Hour: Crisis in Time" and go through the process again, after the last owned Title, it jumps to a different Title I don't own ("The Strange Talent of Luther Strode")

• 1 month later...

New version of Comicbase does the same thing.  No response to my email to support from November, no response here.  I skipped buying this on black friday, I guess I'll be skipping the christmas pricing as well.  I'm not entering thousands of books when I have only a couple in there now and it appears to have data corruption.  

No. It is not data corruption. It is just that the solution to this problem is way more complicated then it may seem.  Since it only occurs when you are the very last Title and attempt to go further, (the right arrow) is when the problem occurs. It does not happen when you are in the middle of your list or at the first. Just the last Title.

more info from our programing team on this one...

If you're set to "owned items' and use the nav arrows to go past your last owned title OR before your first owned title, you'll go to a random title. This is the intended behavior.

The reason is that the alternative is to bark at you and let you know you have no next/previous owned titles, and suggest you change your view settings--this is considered worse than the alternative.

8 hours ago, Mark J. Castaneda said:

more info from our programing team on this one...

If you're set to "owned items' and use the nav arrows to go past your last owned title OR before your first owned title, you'll go to a random title. This is the intended behavior.

The reason is that the alternative is to bark at you and let you know you have no next/previous owned titles, and suggest you change your view settings--this is considered worse than the alternative.

I would have thought it would make more sense for the program to bring you to the first owned title if you use the nav arrows to go past your last owned title (and vice versa).  🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, Gregory Hecht said:

I would have thought it would make more sense for the program to bring you to the first owned title if you use the nav arrows to go past your last owned title (and vice versa).  🤷‍♂️

That is what I would have thought as well. 

I don't think it's working as designed unfortunately either.  If you start at your first owned title and click Next Title it toggles through your owned titles.  After your last owned title it jumps to some random non-owned title.  When clicking Next Title again. it does not jump to my first title at all, instead it picks another owned title, sometimes the 2nd or 3rd alphabetically.

I have 4 titles entered, If I use Next Title arrow I get:

Amazing Spiderman (1st owned)

Incredible Hulk (2nd owned)

Spiderman (3rd owned)

Uncanny X-men (4th owned)

Random non-owned title (sometimes 2 non-owned titles come up)

Randomly the 2nd or 3rd owned title comes up (it will progress through to my 4th title after hitting Next Title, but it never goes back to the 1st in my collection, ASM)

Random non-owned title

and repeat...

Devs if you want to recreate this, just start with a fresh database, add 4 or 5 comic titles, change items to show to Owned items, then toggle through using the Next Title arrow a bunch of times.  You'll toggle through your collection to the end the first time then it jumps to random issues and then it does not go back to the first issue in your collection.