The Strange Death of Alex Raymond

I wasn't sure how to handle this, so I changed the HC-1, which was the only book in CB originally, to Bk 1.  The problem is that there are three different versions of Bk 1.  There is the standard edition which is what CB had.  There is the limited Kickstarter edition with a singed plate added.  Then there is an error edition in which blue inks were left out of a good portion of the end of the book.  Additionally, the original TPB was the "California Test Edition" which was a fund raiser in an attempt to finish the book.  There is also a book of mockups copying the pages sent between the creators, Dave Sim and Carson Grubaugh.  I feel confident that a more standard TPB will likely follow but as yet there has been no official mention of it. 

I added all editions and notes as well along with pics for all but the second TPB.  My scanner isn't cooperating currently. 

To clarify Mark's answer, in cases where a particular comic item has both a hardcover and a trade paperback version, CB's typical way of handling it is that the hardcover gets the HC designation and the tpb is treated like a regular issue.  For The Strange Death of Alex Raymond, this is what should be followed.  

Sometimes, in the case where the collected edition does not sit in its own title (i.e., it is placed in a title that includes single periodical issues that are collected in the book), then CB will usually give the HC designation to the hardcover and the BK designation to the tpb.  There are exceptions in cases where other designations are used (DLX and CS, for example), but in each of those cases there are unusual complicating factors.  

On 11/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, Gregory Hecht said:

To clarify Mark's answer, in cases where a particular comic item has both a hardcover and a trade paperback version, CB's typical way of handling it is that the hardcover gets the HC designation and the tpb is treated like a regular issue.  For The Strange Death of Alex Raymond, this is what should be followed.  

Sometimes, in the case where the collected edition does not sit in its own title (i.e., it is placed in a title that includes single periodical issues that are collected in the book), then CB will usually give the HC designation to the hardcover and the BK designation to the tpb.  There are exceptions in cases where other designations are used (DLX and CS, for example), but in each of those cases there are unusual complicating factors.  

Okay, it's a little clearer now but I'm still not 100% sure on this. 

This book is weird in every way.  The title is misleading in that it has little to do with the actual death of Alex Raymond and is more of an analysis of inking techniques by genuine masters of the medium.  Interesting, but not what the title leads one to believe.  The original printed edition (I had originally listed as TPB 1) is not the same as the hardcover that is now available, as it only contains the first 119 pages of the full 308 page book. The book I submitted as TPB 2 is not in the hardcover at all, it's additional new material. 

I'm happy to resubmit all of this but want to be sure I get it right. 

What I submitted        What it should be          Description                                                           

TPB 1                           1                                      California Test Market Edition, paperback

TPB 2                          2                                      Volume 2: Mockups

Bk 1-HC                      1-HC                                Regular edition

Bk 1-LE                       1-LE                                 Kickstarter signed edition

Bk 1-A                         1-A                                  Printing error edition

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 10:59 AM, Douglas W. McCratic said:

What I submitted        What it should be          Description                                                           

TPB 1                           1                                      California Test Market Edition, paperback

TPB 2                          2                                      Volume 2: Mockups

Bk 1-HC                      1-HC                                Regular edition

Bk 1-LE                       1-LE                                 Kickstarter signed edition

Bk 1-A                         1-A                                  Printing error edition

While both of these items exist, their current entries in the database need clarification so that users (and especially Atomic Avenue shoppers) can tell them apart.  

26 minutes ago, Mark J. Castaneda said:

We don't accept Signed items into our master without a COA. However, you're more than welcome to track it in your personal database.

Since when?  Most signed books (not comics) don't include COAs, the authenticity is implied in the limitation.  Collected comics editions have been released without COAs for decades and are included in the system.  Mage Bk 1/LE-Bk 3/LE, American Flagg Bk 1/LE-Bk 3/LE, The R. Crumb Coffee Table Art Book HC/LE, The Silent Invasion Bk 1/LE-Bk 4/LE, Moonshadow Bk 1/LE, Feldstein: The Mad Life and Fantastic Art of Al Feldstein! HC/LE, The Art of the Star Wars Galaxy, and Sin City (Dark Horse) 1/LE are off the top of my head. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Mark J. Castaneda said:

Team conferenced on this topic based of the last livestream. Pete will discuss more about it in the next livestream.

We will accept items with or without COA if we know there's a limited run of it. Ideally, we'd like to know the numbers behind the run noted in the notes field (ex: Limited to 200).

Thanks, Mark.  There is also a "Circulation" field for comic issues.  I'd like to suggest that the numbers behind the run also be included in that field.