Want List

Jeff Kolker

Hello!

In the previous version of CB, I could print a report that would list in summary fashion all the books I've marked as "Wanted".  It was fairly concise and I would use it to send to vendors, upon their request, to see if they had anything matching my list. 

The report used was the Collection Report, and worked great.  I would select All titles and it print only wanted items. 

This no longer works.  (I've attached my old one for reference.)

Is there a substitute Want List type report that would list everything marked "wanted' in a nice, neat, concise report?  I was told I could use a spreadsheet, and have and attached one that was created.  Seems unwieldy.  And not something I would want to send to a vendor.  And compared to a report, not as easy to produce.

If there isn't a substitute, I would request one be added.  I think a Want List would be almost a necessity for a collector. 

Thanks,
Jeff

new want list.xlsx jeff's want list.pdf

A normal find on field Wanted, however, does return the rows.

Yes, that's how you get the spreadsheet.  You do a search for "wanted" and then select all the records that appear, Ctrl-C to copy and then paste into the spreadsheet.   As you can see from my attached spreadsheet, not the most visually appealing result.  I know I could spend time making it look nicer, but would have to do it each time the want list was updated.

In the past I had received nice comments about the want list I sent them... not sure what they would say about the spreadsheet.

I just ran this report on my system and it worked.  You might be forgetting to select the option that states "Selected titles".  If you leave it as the default "Titles I Own" it will not find any issues.

When you choose "Selected Titles" then click "choose " and at the top of the next screen click on "All Titles" or "Titles in stock".  Then highlight all issues that you have wants for and then "Ok".  You MUST highlight at least 1 title.

Selecting print will send the file to be saved wherever you wish.  You can then open the file and print it yourself.  It generates  the report like it was before but instead of just printing it, it asks you to save it.  Extra steps!  😞

Edited by Edward G. Guetzow
Correct grammar.

That is interesting.  I am using CB 2020 Archive Edition v20.0.1.2847 and when I try to run a Collection Report for Wanted items (the List Only Wanted Items is checked), I get a message "No items were in your collection inventory which matched those criteria" even though I do have them.  Here are the steps I take:

Select the Collection Report from the Reports menu.

Click on Selected Titles, then the Choose button.

Click on the Titles in Stock, and then high-light a Title that I have at least one Item # with the Wanted field checked and click okay.

Back at the Collection Report window, I now have 1 Chosen next to Selected Titles.

I have Tried Basic and Summary so it doesn't matter which one is chosen.

I Check the List Only Wanted Items box. (no other box is checked). and the click on Preview.

Since I DO have an Item # that has Wanted in that Title, I should get a report but get the message I mentioned before.

I have gone back and selected Current Title (still a Title with and Item # with Wanted checked), and Titles I own (which has many Titles/Item #s with Wanted Checked) and all get the same message and no report.

I have even used Select Titles and, when Choosing, high-lighted every Title in CB without getting a report.

Edward, can you pass on you CB version and exact steps you are taking to get a successful Collection report of Wanted Items, please?

CB version is 2020 Archive Edition v20.0.1.2836.  I have been able to generate the wanted list in 2 ways.  I was mistaken about the first & easiest way as I had not tried it since my last update/upgrade (too lazy).  I had already figured that I could generate a report using the second method.

The first method (which I had not tried again when I last posted):

Choose Report

Collection Report - "Titles I Own "

"List only wanted items"

Print or Preview.  File is created for export and you are asked to save it.

The second method was the way that I had defaulted to do:

Choose Report

Collection Report - "Selected Titles" and click "Select"

At the new screen, select "All Titles' or "Titles in stock"

Highlight all the titles that you are interested in finding and press "OK"

Print or Preview.  File is created for export and you are asked to save it.

Perhaps it is a bug in the current CB version?

Edited by Edward G. Guetzow
finish

I upgraded to build 2851 and both methods work for me.  However, not all of my selected wants are showing in the reports.  It looks like they were not all picked up in my previous build as well (2836).

Also, the file is being exported on my system because I forgot to select a printer for output.  So, selecting output to my printer works correctly.

I am having trouble with file tools as "Optimize Database" and "Rebuild Lists - Item Information" cause the program to crash.

The ONLY time I get results from the Collection Report is if one is marked "wanted" that I already own.  IF the issue is marked wanted and I don't have it in stock, it does not get picked up.

I can actually get a want list with the Item Checklist.  However, the nature of that report is 1 issue per line.  Thus my report would be 81 pages if printed.  As opposed to the 14 page one from the Collection Report that was in CB2017.

I think a dedicated Want List would be a good addition to CB. 

I can get a want list via the Item Checklist, but it does produce an extremely long report being that the layout is 1 record per line.

14 pages from the old 2017 Collection report to 81 pages with 2020 Issue Checklist.

Would love to see a dedicated Want List report ... especially in summary form.