Region / datetime format problem

Peter C. Kroon

Installed CB 2020, build 2836 last week on a new computer, running W10 Pro, 64 bit. I can only get CB to run when I set my region to US and then change the date format to US as well. My regular settings are Dutch, meaning DD-MM-YYYY for a date and not MM/DD/YYYY. Because of this CB fails to run, stating that the value is not a valid datetime value. Which is odd, for a datetime value should only be a number that is forrmatted using the regional settings. Please advise what to do. Changing my region / datetime settings each time I want to run CB is of course not an option.

First... we just updated the build with few bug fixes. Just download/install it again from your www.comicbase.com account (My Account menu>Registrations).

The programming team informs me the date settings for ComicBase are inherently YYYY-DD-MM now. Try going into the File Menu>File Tools>Rebuild Lists>Select Item Information and Rebuild. Afterwards, try switching to Dutch and see if that solves your problem.

If the trouble still lingers, please contact our team directly at support@comicbase.com.

Slight correction to what I just told Mark: The dates are now fundamentally stored as YYYY-MM-DD [Not YYYY-DD-MM, as I'd messaged him]

As long as SQLite (the new database engine) can get your dates into that format (something it tries to do when converting, but using File > File Tools > Rebuild Lists > Item Information forces the formatting) it should read them on any system, regardless of international settings.

Hi Mark, Hi Peter,

I have been busy testing over the weekend, using build 2878 and think I have found the problem. My conclusion is that the pre-installed (clean, aka empty) database contains errors. Errors that will only be noticed when you’re running CB 2020 on a Dutch system (perhaps other non English as well). Since most users are US based or convert their old CB 2017 (V19) database, they will not get this particular error. I have just shared my findings in a PDF with the support team directly.