Issues with Rebuild Pictures list.

Fred Slota

I'm one of those nuts with scans of everything.

I yesterday did an upgrade from v21 to v22, with a reload of scans from the four downloaded file.  Today, I shifted the Pictures folder to my scans and did a full rebuild of all lists, including all picture references.

1) The thumbnails cache was not cleared.  I have a personal scan that's different from one of the official scans.  When I went to that issue to upload my scan, the thumbnail image in the grid was the official scan, and not my scan. (Since it was the only cover for that title, it would show up as the large graphic).  I went to the thumbnails directory and saw it fully populated.  I closed ComicBase, deleted the thumbnails, reopened ComicBase, and the thumbnail for that issue showed up with my scan.

2) With the pictures directory pointed at my pictures, and after the full list rebuild including picture references (and after wiping the thumbnails directory), I executed my saved search for finding issues missing pictures, expecting to see only the most recent couple of weeks of issues.

I.[QtyInStock] > 0 AND I.[PictureFileSize] is NULL

This returned a list of all my owned issues, with 99.99% of them showing thumbnails of my scans.  Apparently, it thinks every owned issue is missing a cover scan, despite almost all of them having a cover scan.

Pointed back to official pictures and Rebuilt Pictures only. 

1) Thumbnail cache again not cleared, as my personal picture remained the thumbnail for that issue while all the others repopulated from the official scans.

2) Reran my "Owned without pictures" and it found 23, mostly my unofficial specials which wouldn't have official scans, and all truly without pictures.  Tomorrow I will try to rebuild back to my scans and try again.

Oh, and I just realized that given that there are wa-a-a-a-ay more official pictures, I guess it makes sense that the Rebuild Pictures process takes wa-a-a-a-ay longer.

So, wanted to retry pointing at my scans, deleting thumbnails and rebuilding the picture references.  But, I realized after initiating the process that I had neglected to actually change the picture location.  The process, has a stop button.  But, when I clicked on it, the button changed to a message "Stopping...", but did not actually stop.  Not expecting an unusual response, I wasn't completely paying attention, but I think it stopped processing Comic Books, but continued by doing a full process of Magazines.  I suspect the Stop stopped a stage, but not the entire process.

So, I remembered to point at my picture files this time.   Reran my search for Owned without Pictures

I.[QtyInStock] > 0 AND I.[PictureFileSize] is NULL

and this time the results are correct, listing only the recent issues that I have not yet scanned.  Something fishy...

The thumbnail cache isn't meant to be cleared by picture rebuild (Picture rebuilding doesn't recompute thumbnails--it finds which database entries have pictures, and plugs in their physical dimensions into hidden fields in the grid.). This allows us to figure out when a certain downloadable picture is bigger (or present) than the one you've got.

-Pete