Slightly better thumbnail processing.

Fred Slota

A couple of suggestions on a theme.

1) Hard coded or programmable setting or pop-up offer to clear the thumbnail cache when changing the picture location directory.

2) Hard coded or programmable setting or pop-up offer to clear the thumbnail cache when rerunning the Rebuild Picture References process.

Both of the above are processes where it is a reasonable assumption that picture information has changed, implying that thumbnails might no longer match.

As an additional observation, when I switch from the official folder with 750k scans to my personal folder with 23k scans, and I start browsing through different titles, the system recognizes when items that used to have scans no longer do, and the thumbnail is removed.  I'm not sure if this is done during the Rebuild or during the populating of the grid. If this check could be augmented to test the dimensions of the current picture against that currently in the database and force a thumbnail refresh when they don't match, this would get closer to hiding mismatches.

Thumbnails are not deleted by the program.
Currently, the only way to delete them is to navigate to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Human Computing\Thumbnails and manually delete what you want (at the grid cover icon size, publisher, title levels or individual thumbnails).

The way CB process is something like:

Go to a Title.
Look for Publisher/Title Name folder in Pictures.
Does the folder exist?
If No, no covers are displayed
If Yes, does Publisher/Title Name/Grid Cover Icon Size folder exist in Thumbnails?
If No, created Thumbnails and display them.
If Yes, display them.

Thank you for the reply.  I'm fairly certain there is something missing, as your description does not match the behavior that I have been witnessing for years using my two sets of scans.  Up until this week, I have not been manually manipulating the thumbnails folder; I would simply switch my picture source and Rebuild the Picture References.  If there was a title where all the items had official scans, but I personally own only a single issue and thus have a single scan, when I switched from official to personal and Rebuilt the Picture References, viewing this title there would be only a single thumbnail.  Both sources would have folders for the Publisher and Title, the official with many pictures, mine with a single one.  If the process you described above was truly the only thing happening, I would be seeing a fully populated set of thumbnails in this title when pointed at my scans and rebuilt.  Somewhere there is a process that removes or suppresses thumbnails.

Within the next day, I will run the process again taking notes on specific folder states and grid behaviors.

Good point.

Probably should have went into more detail.
When checking for Publisher/Title, it if find the actual Issue numbers of the covers in the folder.

It then checks the thumbnail folder for the Grid Cover Icon size/Publisher/Title and Issue number of covers it found.
If there is no Issue number cover in Picture folders, it won't look for those numbers in Thumbnails.

So, even though the Thumbnail has images, if there are no covers in Pictures, then they are ignored (as if they don't exist).

As an extreme test, I changed picture folder location to the default (not my normal Picture folder). This folder has NO covers.
Checked Thumbnails folder and it has all the thumbnails.

Ran rebuild Lists for Pictures.

CB displays NO covers and Thumbnails has all the images still there.

What does the program do to query if the issue number scan exists?  Can that process return the picture dimensions?

Can the Rebuild Pictures References process delete a thumbnail if it finds the current picture file has different dimensions than what is in the databsae?

Of course, these will not work if the changed scan is the same size, but it would be better...