Proposed new field - Selling Description

Fred Slota

Apologies if this already exists, as I've never posted for sale on AtomicAvenue.

Currently, when you look at an individual issue, the top part of the screen shows the official ComicBase Notes field, and for each sale listing, you see the possibly modified Notes field from the seller.  In many cases, these individual entries contain a repeat of the official note.  In many cases, many of the entries contain the same repeat of the official note.  When a seller adds custom notes, it makes it harder to notice alongside the official note.  When multiple entries contain the same repeat of the official note, it is harder to notice one custom addition among the multiple repeats of the official note.  Also, when the official note states "bagged" or "with card", and the seller has both the official note and a custom addition stating "unbagged" or "without card", you get a confusing posting.

I propose a separate field, SellingDescription, meant for the separation of the official  notes from the custom sale note.

To avoid the disruption on people selling from different version of ComicBase, or people who don't switch over to using this field, a selling submission with a blank SellingDescription would show the submissions Notes field instead.

I think that the Grading Notes field (which already exists) is supposed to serve this function.  

Any contents that a seller has in the Notes field that don't match the master database get imported into the Atomic Avenue listing. 

• Sometimes those imported Notes are old field contents that used to be in the master database but got deleted or updated, but the seller's database still has the old info in there.  
  • Sometimes it is information about the particular copy of the comic that the seller put in there before the Grading Notes field existed.  (The Grading Notes field came into existence not too long ago... so the Notes field was used for sellers' grading notes for many many years.)

At this point, I suspect that the inconvenience that you describe is something that we'll just have to live with for quite some time.  It would be problematic to require all AA sellers to go through each of their listings to transfer grading information out of the Notes field and into the Grading Information field.  Sellers who have hundreds or even thousands of items for sale on AA would be REALLY UNHAPPY with that kind of labor intensive requirement... and if a seller has gone to the effort of putting together information to help a buyer understand the details of the condition of the item that they are selling, that isn't a seller that you want to piss off.  🙂  

1) I wasn't aware of the GradingNotes field. Functionally, this sounds like what I was thinking of.  Maybe more of an AA question, but where does that show in an AA listing?  Is it concatenated with the Notes field?

2) I did address the changeover question with my final sentence - If a listing has no SellerDescription (or GradingNotes), then show the Notes for their entry.  I don't want to unnecessarily annoy people, either.  Or at least, any more people... 😀