So, more information is not good? Consistent information is not good?

Fred Slota

So, I searched for ItemDescription = "Variant Cover" and only "Variant Cover", and started adding descriptions to all the variants of an issue (where a scan existed) when there was a Variant with a generic "Variant Cover" ItemDescription.  I did a couple of titles and waited to see what would happen.

The title "Archie" ended up having quite a few starting at 641/A, and I also did a few in Amazing Spider-Man such as #570, #666 and #691, among others.

When I posted these updates, I moved Cover Artists names to the CoverArtist field if necessary, retained any other variant description, and added a cover description in the form "Cover shows xx xx xx xx".  I think I used the "cover shows" wording consistently, but I can't be sure since the last updated overwrote my ItemDescriptions, which I wasn't expecting.

In the Amazing Spider-Man issues, the descriptions were added for all variants, but my submitted descriptions were placed in parenthesis, and the cover artist references were retained.

In the Archie issues, the descriptions were added only for issues where the ItemDescription was empty, and were added using my submitted "Cover shows..." instead of in parenthesis.  And all the entries, which already had cover artist names in the CoverArtist field only did not have their cover artists copied into the Item Descriptions when Item Descriptions were added.  Oh, and it looks like all my descriptions starting at 700 were dropped, I guess because starting with those issues the ItemDescription started including the cover artist information.

So, which is it?  Cover descriptions: yes, no, sometimes yes, sometimes no?  Cover descriptions in parenthesis or as "cover shows..."?  Cover Artists duplicated in ItemDescription, or not, or sometimes yes, sometimes no?

I'm also mildly annoyed that among the Archie's I found that the regular and 5 variants of #666, which was a series ender issue, were a 6-panel connecting cover set, and that that detail was dropped along with my cover descriptions.

Edited by Fred Slota