Titles take a long time to load after clicking "Titles" button

Cyberspace Steve

Mark, if I click the "Titles" button (located at top right), I experience about a 4 second delay.

If I change my option to "titles in stock", then close out of the title search box ... I experience approximately a 2 second delay when I click the "Titles" button. However, it's worth noting that I never narrow my search this way ... I just wanted to see if this would affect the speed.

my specs:

processor - intel Core i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz
Installed RAM - 8.00 GB
system type - 64 bit

What you're facing is the sheet amount of time it takes to load (Steve, in your case) tens of thousands of items into a list. Short of getting a faster computer, or trimming your comic collection, I'd suggest simply avoiding the issue entirely: use the main title browse instead-- it's essentially instantaneous to load the 500 matching entries to whatever you type into that list. The only time I'd use the Titles browse window is when I explicitly _wanted_ to see the list of all the titles in the database.

-Pete

FWIW: It's about 2 second wait on my machine (a 3.6 GHz i9). The bigger difference for this -- and most other things database related -- is that I'm using an NVMe SSD, which takes disk access time essentially to zero in most cases. 

If you haven't tried them yet (and your motherboard supports them), these are probably the single biggest speed-up for a computer today:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-SSD-1TB/dp/B07BN217QG?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-brave-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07BN217QG

-Pete

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 12:15 PM, Peter R. Bickford said:

What you're facing is the sheet amount of time it takes to load (Steve, in your case) tens of thousands of items into a list. Short of getting a faster computer, or trimming your comic collection, I'd suggest simply avoiding the issue entirely: use the main title browse instead-- it's essentially instantaneous to load the 500 matching entries to whatever you type into that list. The only time I'd use the Titles browse window is when I explicitly _wanted_ to see the list of all the titles in the database.

-Pete

Using the main title browse field has allowed me to start using ComicBase again, so thank you very much for that tip!

I have just over 3,000 comics entered into my CB.  When I was using 2017, there was a little delay when I used the Title Browse to skim through all the titles, but CB never crashed when I used it.  When I first went to 2020, the Title Browse  rendered CB pointless.  It crashes to desktop, it locks up for an hour, most of the time it just took 10 45 seconds to respond to any input, and very rarely it would work smoothly. 

Since I found your above tip, CB has become enjoyable again.  As long as I don't use the Title Browse window.  I have also found that the back and forward arrows bracketing the Title Browse button work fine, another great plus.

My disk I/O is never more than 5%, RAM stays at 4.5/24Gb, and CPU ranges from 30% to 75%.  

Please don't get me wrong, I love this program and I have no intention of not using it for the foreseeable future.

I'm happy to get you any info I can to help CB work better.

Thanks,

Pat

Edited by Patrick O’Malley
to check the receive update on replies.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:09 AM, Peter R. Bickford said:

I'd be curious as to what your experience would be if you booted with all your extensions turned off 

It would run like it was meant to.  That is what would happen if I booted with all my extensions off.

Yay!!!  It's my computer!  I have been working on networks too long.  I didn't even think of doing a safeboot.  

I will post the culprit once I have identified it.

Thank you, Peter!