Savage Spider Man #2 Cover stock

It probably is the same paper as the interior pages. 

I assume that you are asking so that you can track this in your own custom fields?  The reason I ask is that I doubt that this is the sort of thing that HC is particularly worried about tracking in the master database.  

To which I say again...  We'll happily accept notations when a book uses a "card stock" cover, but you are actively discouraging any notation of "plain paper" cover or similar for this non-standard printing?

1) I forsee the possibility that, through rarity due to being less durable, high quality versions might become scarcer and thus more valuable.  Would be nice to know why.

2) If they reprint with regular covers using the same or similar illustration, would that cause a change of thought?

There was a period when Gladstone tried publishing a number of their Disney titles with covers consisting of the same paper stock as interiors. Most, if not all, of these are noted in ComicBase as "newsprint covers" -- see Donald Duck Adventures (Gladstone), for example, where #34 says "Newsprint covers begin" and #43 says "Newsprint covers end."

This situation with Savage Spider-Man and a few others is a bit different but seems somewhat analogous. "Newsprint" wouldn't be the right term for whatever paper was used for them, and I understand not wanting to go crazy adding minute detail about cover stock for everything in the database, but it would seem worth noting that these issues have unusual characteristics. Not only will they not hold up as well in the long term, but more copies than usual were reportedly damaged in shipments to retailers, making fewer high-grade copies available from the outset.

But Marvel has been incrementally downgrading the paperstock for the covers of their periodical comics for years now.  While I understand that this latest round has been a step too far, is it so different (other than the social media outrage) from what Marvel has been doing over the last few years that it warrants database tracking?  

Supposedly there are some issues from Marvel that are forthcoming in the next few weeks that will have this “feature”. I think that Marvel has indicated that they have heard the negative reaction esp since it results in more damages when shipping to retailers. So with a little luck Marvel will go back to the previous cover stock (which, as I said before, isn’t much different than the interior page stock anyway). 

I saw an article on BleedingCool that, quoting MyComicShop, says that Marvel will be switching back to a better cover stock going forward, but there are still a few issues in the pipeline that will have the cheaper paper. They list a number of the affected issues.

Here's the link:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/were-this-weeks-marvel-comics-printed-on-toilet-paper/