Magazines in the dB

Joel Ekis

I see there is a mechanism to remove mature issues from the dB.  Would it be possible to enhance that option to remove any Magazine as well?  I have no interest in any of the Magazines that have been added to the overall dB.  It would be nice to just not have to deal with them at all.

Pete?  What do you think?

Thanks!

When you do an Update, there is check box at the bottom to Exclude Mature Titles from the database. Check this and run the Update and all the Mature titles will be removed.

If you have already run an update, you can 'force' it process again by pressing and holding the SHIFT key while selecting Internet->Check for Updates.

This should affect all types (Books, Comic Books and Magazines).

Exclude Mature.JPG

Mark,

I just did the Friday update.  It added 300MB to my dB for all the new Magazine entries.  How many of your existing customers have a use for all 5,000 issues of The Daily Telegraph from Australia?

This is just bloating the dB and making the updates take a lot longer.  I would really, really encourage you to allow all of us existing users to CHOOSE whether we want all the Magazines in our local dB or not.

And if you start bloating the dB with 'Books', then please add the same option there too.

I subscribe to ComicBase to manage my Comics.  Nothing else matters to me.

• Like 4

Yes, adding magazines related to comics and related interests like science fiction and horror is one thing, and I'd even be fine with something like Entertainment Weekly. But I don't need my database to contain thousands of records for daily newspapers or obscure scientific journals. I don't want to exclude magazines en masse from my database, but I would like to be able to exclude the newspapers, academic journals, etc.

I know that this is probably a long shot, but I don't necessarily want to eliminate all magazines and books; I don't need, say, 50,000 issues of the New York Times in my database, but I would like to have the magazines and books catalogue my comics-related items. Actually, I preferred them in the comics portion of the database before they were split off.  The magazines and books info could make the database HUGE in the future.  Is there something that can be done to re-focus ComicBase to the "Comic" and related items part of the database?

On a related note, is ComicBase planning to track values for everything that gets added to Magazines and Books?

I'm wondering if newspapers could be spun off to their own section, separate from the Magazines section. As I mentioned earlier, I don't want to exclude magazines entirely. I would, however, exclude newspapers if I could.

I can see where tracking all of that stuff in Human Computing's master database might be worthwhile for them, but I doubt many of us want to house a mega-database on our own systems. As ComicBase grows and expands well beyond comics, there may be a need to devise more ways for users to select the portions that meet their needs and exclude those that don't. I've got plenty of magazines related to comics and entertainment, but I don't need a newspaper index. I've got plenty of books, but I don't need an index of romance paperbacks or theological volumes.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I also only use ComicBase for my comic books and comic book related items (hard cover books, graphic novels, etc.) and would like to be able to exclude newspapers and magazines. That would be a feature I and apparently others would like to have.

On that theme, if I were to delete from my database all of those newspapers and magazines that I don't want, would they just come back in the next update?

Kurt, the current version of CB has the ability to deleted Types (Books, Magazines, and/or Comic Books.

This is accomplished when you run the weekly update. There is an option at the top to select Items To Update.

Two things to consider.

A) If you have owned Items in a Type, those issues/Titles will not be deleted.

B) Things that you might consider Comics may have been moved to Magazines (or Books). If you get them after deleting a type, they won't be in your database to enter them (you can always add it yourself but if it is in the wrong Type, it won't have pricing information updated).

• Like 1