Problem entering a new title

Timothy S. Kilbreath

Hi.  I am trying to enter some new titles tonight.  I have been able to enter new issues (variants not in ComicBase), and even 1 new title.  But when I go to enter my second new title, after I enter all of the information and hit save, the title disappears, and I cannot find it with a search or the Find bar.  Any ideas?

The title I am trying to enter is issue 2 of Jacques Da-Cock by Rob Reilly from Skatoons Productions.

I think I have quite a number of individual titles to enter.  I haven't looked them up in a couple years to see if they are in there yet or not.  I had set them aside to enter later, and never got around to it.  So now I have some time on my hands.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tim Kilbreath

Is you are adding a new issue to an existing title, you can click the '+' in the middle right of the window. (see red circle in attachment)
This will bring up the issue edit window. It will default to the next issue number (which may or may not be what you want).
Enter/Correct any information you want then click Save.

If you are entering a new Title, you can click on the button in the top left of the screen (below the menu line; see black circle in attachment).
This will bring up a Title window. Enter the Title name then click OK (Save doesn't work).
New will be a Title Edit window. At the least you need to enter a Publisher. When done, click Save.
This will bring up an Issue Edit window. Enter any information you like, then click Save.

Add.JPG

Thanks.  I followed your steps for entering a new title and it worked like it should have.  Part of my problem might have been trying to enter issue #2 without having an issue #1 first.  I also had a different variation of the publisher's name.  ComicBase suggested Skatoon, but the comic says Skatoon Productions.  I went with Skatoon this time.

You did the Publisher correctly according to how the editors want them.

They drop off parts like Production (not saying I agree with this but that is how it is done). They only keep more if needed to distinguish between very similarly named publishers.

PS When entering an Issue, it shouldn't matter what the number is. it is perfectly valid to enter #2 (or any number, really) without having the previous numbered issue there.

One more question for you:

What would you suggest that I do after I enter new information and submit it?  My first one I entered weeks ago showed up in the weekly update with a different issue number than what I gave it, so then I had two entries for it.  Should I just keep track of what I submit and then go back and check them all after the new update comes out, and delete any of my original entries that got changed by CB?

Thanks for all of your help!

That would  be one way.

Another is when the Update complete window is displayed, there can be a 'View unrecognized items' link (bottom left corner) if the Update finds any Titles and/or Issues that don't match the master database. (If everything matches, it won't be displayed).

When you click on this, you will get a report of all Issues you own and/or Titles containing issues you own that don't match.

These would be things like your submitted item where the issue number (or Title) was changed by the editors.

PS When you start an Update, on the Update Options window, at the bottom you can check 'Remove Obsolete Series' and 'Remove Obsolete Items'. Doing with will remove any Titles and/or Issues that you don't own.

How long does it take for the new titles and issues to show up in the download?  I did some this past weekend, and downloaded the most recent update today, and they are all listed as titles/issues that don't match.  I'm just anxious to see what changes the CB staff did to my entries so that I can learn from that.  Thanks!

Can you give a list of a few Titles.

As a possibility, there may have been something about the Title name and/or Publisher that got changed or maybe they were already in the database as something else.

If I have some examples, I can try to see if I can locate them.

Or it just may take a little more time to get some information before they are entered.

Here are the titles:

Unrecognized Comic Titles

Biblical Proportions
Jacques Da-Cock
Omega Comics Presents Stranger
Scuttlebutt
The Medicine Man
The Medicine Man (1996)

And here are the issues:

Unrecognized Comics

Aim (Vol. 2) 2
Biblical Proportions 1
Captain Marvel (11th Series) 15/D
Jacques Da-Cock 1
Jacques Da-Cock 2
Naomi 1/B
Omega Comics Presents Stranger 1
Scuttlebutt SE 1
Teen Titans (5th Series) 16/AUT
The Medicine Man 1
The Medicine Man (1996) 1
The Medicine Man (1996) 2
The Medicine Man (1996) 3
The Medicine Man (1996) 4

A couple of obscure ones there. I am having trouble finding much information on:
Scuttlebutt, The Medicine Man and The Medicine Man (1996) (NOTE: The Medicine Man (1996) probably won't be the official title. probably 2nd series). They might be underground comics, at a guess.

I did find some information on Biblical Proportions (a Kickstarter), Jacques Da-Cock, and Omega Comics Present Stranger (NOTE: CB does have 'The Best of Omega Comics Presents #1 and 2 which probably collects it and other titles) but, again, not very much.

This could be causing the delay in the addtion of the titles (at a guess).

As for the Issues:

Not including the Issues associated with the new titles above...

I can find Aim (Vol. 2) #2 at MyComicShop.

I have questions about:

I can only find 4 covers for this Title Issue and CB has all 4.
Do you have a different one?

Naomi 1/B
Is this the 'Special Convention Edition'?

Teen Titans (5th Series) 16/Aut
Is this just a random issue that happens to be signed or was it from an official release as a signed edition.
If it is just random (you or someone got the signature at a convention) then CB doesn't track it (you can add it to your database, of course).

But, I couldn't find any of this is CB, yet.

28 minutes ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

I have questions about:

I can only find 4 covers for this Title Issue and CB has all 4.
Do you have a different one?

Naomi 1/B
Is this the 'Special Convention Edition'?

Yes, most of the ones that I am entering are from a local auction, and I think that they aren't in CB yet.  Should I enter all of these obscure ones into the database and upload for inclusion?

Captain Marvel 15/D is a convention exclusive that I received that I haven't seen in CB.  It has a completely different cover, as shown below.

Naomi 1/B is also a convention exclusive.

Naomi.thumb.jpg.94180eaaba64f9b90286b65bcc94f209.jpg

Captain Marvel.jpg

Yes, you can enter the titles and/or issues and submit them for inclusion to the database. For Titles, you might check with the editors about naming formats.

Convention issues are fine, also.

The only thing I would be careful of are the signed ones.

As I understand it, if there was a place selling multiples of the signed copies (i.e Dynamic Forces), they will be fine as there are enough to track prices.

But if they are one-offs that someone happened to get signed (i.e at a convention) there aren't enough to bet any sales numbers for.