Can Add by Barcode Identify the Type of Item (i.e Comics, Magazines, or Books)

I love Add by Barcode but if I'm scanning a bunch of stuff and I accidentally scan different types in the same session, the resultant Save list won't show everything due to different types. This is a colossal pain, if I've scanned a whole bunch of stuff. For instance, I scanned a whole bunch of comics and unwittingly scanned a a comic-sized book that was typed as a magazine. The Saved results only showed the magazine.

--Walt 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mark J. Castaneda said:

It's a known limitation according to the programming team - the Add by barcode/show results will only show the type of list of the top scanned item, since it's impossible to mix and match media types. You may want to separately batch your items by media type.

Hi, Mark--

Thanks for your response but that's actually the problem. Let's say I have a batch of 100 comics I'm Adding By Barcode and I unwittingly happen to have a something that's comic-sized in the bunch but classified as a magazine in ComicBase, I'm basically SOL when I save (this is what happened to me). If I have to look up all my comics up front to see if I happen to have a comic-sized item that's a magazine, it seriously defeats the purpose of Adding By Barcode.   

The Add By Barcode dialog does not show the category type of the top item and even if it did, it would still be mostly useless as anything that's miscategorized will trip up the Saving of the list. It also doesn't matter what you're currently looking at in the title view. I can add anything and since I don't know how it's categorized, I might be in for a rude surprise when I save, and that's bad since I want to update some custom fields.

It seems to me that each issue must have a type (book, comic, or magazine) that should be accessible through title. If it can be looked up and added, then its type should be available and displayed.

Or based on you comment, if the first thing you scan is a comic, it should reject anything that's not based on that type. I actually prefer this approach.

I also hope my criticisms are taken in the spirit they're given. I like ComicBase. These suggestions are only to help it be better and more user-friendly.

Best,
Walt 

AddByBarcode.jpg

Edited by Walt Grogan
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

It's been 2 years and I assume this hasn't been addressed because here's my problem.

I used ctrl+I to add new by barcode. I scan Dinotopia, it isn't found. I scanned Dinotopia's barcode into notepad, pasted into the look up field, it wasn't found. Not in add by barcode but on the main interface page.
I manually enter dinotopia by name and there it is in the database. I update that I have 1 of each book. I right-click, choose modify entry and discover the bar codes in the database are identical to the ones I just entered that did not find these books.
What am I doing wrong? Does this happen often? I didn't buy the scanner to frustrate myself.

Edited by Ryan Dever
spelling

Not sure if this is the problem or not but...

I can find two Dinotopia titles in CB:

Dinotopia: A Land Apart From Time

Dinotopia: The World Beneath

The 'Land Apart' title only has a partial UPC of '9781878685230'. The Full UPC should be '978187868523052995'

If this was the one you scanned the Barcode into the Find box, it wouldn't match the partial UPC. The other one has the full UPC, however.

Is there a way to load 3rd party DBs into Comicbase? I just tried to enter "Alex Raymond: His Life and Art" by Tom Roberts and it's not in the DB. If you think the database would be too big for my local machine maybe you should find a way for items not found to do an online search.