Justice League Spectacular #1 (1992) buried under Justice League America

I just had an interesting time finding this issue. There is no title entry for Justice League Spectacular as it's indicated in its indicia and it was published too early for it to have a barcode. I couldn't believe that it hadn't been indexed, so how did I find this comic? Search by writer and artist? No, it's Dan Jurgens so that would have brought back too many issues. So I ended up searching the StoryLines field, hoping that the story title had been added to that field. Luckily, it had. The issue ended up being indexed under Justice League America as Item # SP 1/B. Obviously, someone decided that this issue should be buried under a different title. Is there a chance that this can be pulled out, and have its title created?

Again, I love ComicBase, but I find this aspect of using it frustrating as it just slows me down from entering my very large collection. I hope that these criticisms are being taken in the spirit they are given -- to help, in some small way, to better ComicBase.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Douglas W. McCratic said:

I'm with you again.  If that story hadn't been indexed, would you have ever found it?  

I would have given it a shot since I'm starting to figure out how older stuff, sadly enough, was indexed but really this should be its own title.

I think this falls under the general rule in ComicBase that annuals, specials, etc., are listed under the main title, following the philosophy that if you were looking for them in a shop, you would find them with the main title.  It's not my own preference (I'd rather have separate title listings), but I'm learning to live with it. It does make things hard to find sometimes, especially when there are multiple iterations of a series (Justice League, for example) and you don't know for sure which one the annual/special/spectacular is associated with.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Randall J. Paske said:

I think this falls under the general rule in ComicBase that annuals, specials, etc., are listed under the main title, following the philosophy that if you were looking for them in a shop, you would find them with the main title.  It's not my own preference (I'd rather have separate title listings), but I'm learning to live with it. It does make things hard to find sometimes, especially when there are multiple iterations of a series (Justice League, for example) and you don't know for sure which one the annual/special/spectacular is associated with.

Hi, Randall--

I get it and, unfortunately, I'm learning to live with it, too -- but it really SLOWS things down when you have to stop and wonder 🤔, where is this thing going to be found in CB? Let's go on a scavenger hunt!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to slowing things down, without the knowledge I now have from digging all over for information on these books, it doesn't make any sense.  The original title was "Justice League" in 1987 but that became "Justice League International," which changed titles in 1989 to "Justice League America."  The trouble is that the books in question were placed under Justice League America, throwing a word into the title that is nowhere on these books.  I understand that these two have the same writer/artist as was on the main title at the time but finding it would be near impossible without knowing that or looking for the title.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Douglas W. McCratic said:

In addition to slowing things down, without the knowledge I now have from digging all over for information on these books, it doesn't make any sense.  The original title was "Justice League" in 1987 but that became "Justice League International," which changed titles in 1989 to "Justice League America."  The trouble is that the books in question were placed under Justice League America, throwing a word into the title that is nowhere on these books.  I understand that these two have the same writer/artist as was on the main title at the time but finding it would be near impossible without knowing that or looking for the title.  

Wholeheartedly agree, Douglas, but there doesn't seem to be much appetite to fix these things -- which seems pretty odd for a database program. I'll continue to point them out, but I'm not holding out hope that they'll be fixed. 

• Like 1