Can't replace a cover

I just added my last two weeks of comics and noticed Where Starships Go To Die #1 has an incorrect cover image. I tried replacing it with the usual drag and drop method but the changes just won't stick. As soon as I click on the cover in ComicBase it downloads the old version. I also tried deleting the incorrect cover directly from the picture folder and pasting in the correct image but the same thing happens. I even kept the picture folder open as I clicked on the cover in ComicBase to see what happens and I can watch my new cover image being overwritten with the old, incorrect image. 

I've never seen this happen before. Is there a way to correct this?

Also of note, I noticed a lot of the covers I had for my comics this week contained preliminary artwork despite the fact that I have "Don't download concept or preliminary art" ticked off under content update settings. And funnily enough, I had no problem replacing these covers with updated images like I did with Where Starships go to Die.

I'm running ComicBase 2022 Archive Edition c22.0.2.1708

Andrew, I think it possible that larger newer ones were uploaded from users earlier this week. I myself uoloaded a large cover of Dark Knights of Steel #7 Wedneday morning and It accepted it. Therefore those new ones are on the server, but since there was no update this week, the server has them and when you upload larger covers, it ignores yours, since the server has them already. I hope that makes some sense even though I didn't think I explain it well. I had this happen before when Mark was on vacation. He explained it to me when he returned.

What he is referring to is, when you installed the covers, did you use the Qucik Start file (that only has Thumbnail sized covers) or did you intall the complete, full-sized covers.

And in Preferences, do you have 'Automatically download larger pictures when viewing items' checked?

If you do, un-checking it may fix the download cover problem.

Normally, when you drag/drop covers to CB, the Picture information (height, width, size, etc.) gets updated. Assuming you have a larger cover, this should have prevented the program from downloading a different cover when selected.

You can sort of check the values in these columns by running an Advanced Find:

I.PictureWidth BETEWEEN x AND y
or
I.PictureHeight BETWEEN x AND y

where x and y are values that bracket the cover size.

For example, if the cover scan is 505 x 776

I.Title = 'Where Starships Go to Die' AND I.PictureWidth BETWEEN 500 AND 510
or
I.Title = 'Where Starships Go to Die' AND I.PictureWidth BETWEEN 770 AND 780

(I added Title to limit it to just the one series)

After you add you new cover, you can run this again (using the same values) to see if the values got updated.

If it IS updating the picture info, I am not sure why it is downloading a smaller cover. If it is NOT updating, there could be a problem.

(unfortunately, you can't view the picture information directly in CB.
-----

As for Preliminary Artwork, these are getting into the system by user submission and not being caught. Any Preliminary Artwork that is added by HC, has a set size for either Height or Width (can't recall which or the exact number but I think it is width of 500-something).

57 minutes ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

What he is referring to is, when you installed the covers, did you use the Qucik Start file (that only has Thumbnail sized covers) or did you intall the complete, full-sized covers.

I haven't actually installed new covers in years. I have a lot of cover images that I scanned in myself that are much higher resolution than what is available to me as an Archive Edition user.

And in Preferences, do you have 'Automatically download larger pictures when viewing items' checked?

Yes, I do have it checked.

Normally, when you drag/drop covers to CB, the Picture information (height, width, size, etc.) gets updated. Assuming you have a larger cover, this should have prevented the program from downloading a different cover when selected.

The pictures I was trying to add were definitely bigger than the existing cover.

image.png.5244704e1b6e3a52e4895ed1723621c5.png

As soon as I hit "Replace" it will briefly change and then the old image will get re-downloaded. I don't even have time to run the Advanced Find you suggested. 

Edited by Andrew d’Entremont
Spelling

Well that makes more sense. I knew this was a feature but for some reason I thought I could tweak the settings in Sidekick. No wonder I couldn't find it!

I unchecked it and it seems to have solved the problem. It's still a little strange that it keeps downloading the smaller image though.

Thanks for all the quick feedback guys!