Superman (2nd Series) Potential Corrections

I'm added Superman (2nd series) (Byrnes') to my collection and noticed multiple copies for some of the issues. For example, 2, 3, 7, 9, 12 that have 2nd listings that state 2nd printing but I can't find any other records that show these issues had 2nd printings. My copy of 3 also has a barcode in the lower corner box instead of the DC logo making for a 3rd different type. Is it possible these are actually direct market vs newsstand editions? If so, should the multiple versions be listed? I apologize if I've missed this elsewhere during my search for answers. 

The presence of a barcode rather than a Superman shield (or other DC logo/blurb) in the lower lefthand box on the cover is a means of distinguishing newsstand from direct sales for DC books of that general timeframe.  ComicBase doesn't track newsstand and direct sales copies separately unless there is something substantively different about them (different cover, different paper type, different cover price, that sort of thing).  So your copy of #3 should probably not be submitted as a new variant.  

Of the variants that you mention, the cover dates for the first printing of issues #2 and #3 is 1987 and the reprints are marked as being from 1988.  Comics.org and CB both show the corner box for the original prints as stating "The History of the DC Universe Is Must Reading."  Mile High lists several issues of the series as being reprinted in 1988 (they are listed under the title "Superman 3 Comics Pack") and most of those that are pictured have a "Superman Fifty Years" design in the cornerbox (which would make more sense for 1988 than for 1987).  I assume that there might also something in the indicia that allows these issues to be distinguished from one another.    It might be beneficial to have something in the Item Description to help folks tell the different printings apart from one another.  

The variants for #7 and #9 are noted as being from a DVD collection, so I would presume those to also be legitimate variants.  

Mycomicshop has a version of #12 that is clearly a reprint and was included in a multipack.  I suspect that this is the same kind of multipack that Mile High lists on its site, and that Mycomicshop has only ever come across a multi-pack version of #12 and not any of the others. (How to distinguish btw the two versions is explained more clearly in the listing for the original issue #12 on this page... apparently the back cover advertisement is obviously different.  This might be true for the other multipack versions, but I don't know.  Anyway, CB might benefit from a similar explanation for this issue in the Item Description field.)  

Based on the info on the Mile High site, it is likely that CB is missing a bunch of the multipack versions of issues from the 1987 Superman series.  

• Like 1