Books with multiple editions and publishers

Andrew d’Entremont

I have two copies of the same book, published at different times by different publishers. One is the original first edition, and the second is a 15th anniversary edition, revised and updated.

My question is, how do I enter the 15th anniversary edition? Should I enter it as a new book since it is a different publisher, or should I enter it as a variation of the first edition?

Thanks!

Also of note for this particular book is that the actual content is a bit different as it has been revised and updated with the page count being higher. I'm just wondering if it would be more accurate to refer to it as a variant. 

I'll go with whatever the consensus is, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right moving forward. 

Here is what I can find:Raymond E. Feist
Prince of the Blood

Type    Cover    Pub        Printing    Pages    Cover Artist    
        Price    Date
Publisher: Doubleday
HC     18.95    8/1/1989    1st         393    Kevin Eugene Johnson
HC/A    8.98    2/1/1990    SFBC        308    Kevin Eugene Johnson
Science Fiction Book Club Edition; Cover Catalog Number: 15750
HC     22.00    11/1/1992   2nd         293    Don Maitez

Publisher: Bantam
HC     25.00    7/1/2004    1st *       356    Liz Kenyon
MMPB    7.99    7/1/2005    1st         432    Liz Kenyon

MMPB    4.95    6/1/1990    1st         396    Kevin Eugene Johnson
MMPB    5.99    1/1/1994    5th         351    Don Maitz

*I don't have information about 1st printing but I assume it is. you have the book and could tell better

Personally, I would create 3 separate titles:

Title: Prince of the Blood (Doubleday)
Publisher: Doubleday
HC         1st
HC/A     SFBC

Title: Prince of the Blood (Bantam)
MMPB    1st
MMPB    5th
(there are 2nd - 4th printings but I don't have information on them)

Title: Prince of the Blood 15th Anniversary Edition (Bantam)

HC          1st
MMPB    1st

When you start having different publishers and different printings, it can get messy and you may box yourself into a corner later.  It is easier (and less prone to problems) to have the separate titles.

I had actually considered creating a separate title because of the changes to content and Publisher, so that's what I'll go ahead and do.

Thanks for the speedy response and thorough research!

And just out of curiosity, where did you pull your information from? Your source might save us both some time in future situations like this. 

I have found this to be a pretty good site for books:

https://isfdb.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

I also do some searches on Amazon and Ebay to see If I can see any inside information.

PS Very good series, by the way. I would have got to it eventually but i have several hundred books to get through (and I started a Z and am working backwards to A as I rearrange my bookshelves...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew d’Entremont said:

I have two copies of the same book, published at different times by different publishers. One is the original first edition, and the second is a 15th anniversary edition, revised and updated.

My question is, how do I enter the 15th anniversary edition? Should I enter it as a new book since it is a different publisher, or should I enter it as a variation of the first edition?

Thanks!

If it is a different publisher, I think it is a new book. I would enter it as a new book and submit it if it's not already in the system. I know when I've done that,  the entire run shows up in the next update. 

Unfortunately, it is not that straight forward.

As an example, Company A publishes a Title with Printings 1 through 5.

Then the company is bought/merged with another company, and the publisher of the book changes BUT the next book a 6th printing.

If you split it into two titles, the second would 'start' with 6th Printing.

However, if after the merger, the next book IS a 1st printing, then, yes, I would make two titles.