Implement a Search Suggestion Blind Spot

Fred Slota

Typed "The Incredible Hulk" in the search bar, only to discover I don't find any of the expected titles in the suggestions.

Type "Incredible Hulk", and there they are.

Might I suggest, when someone types "The Xxxxxx" as a search, that the suggestion algorithm recognize the leading "The" and prioritize searching for "Xxxxxx" and/or "Xxxxxx AND The" over/before "The Xxxxxx"

• Like 1

Come on, now...

Searching in Books for "a call", and the suggestions are

• Babylon 5: A Call to Arms
  • 52/WW III Part One: A Call to Arms
  • Black Coat, The: A Call to Arms
  • Ghostbusters: Who Ya Gonna Call?

but not

• Call to Arms, A (Baen)
  • Call to Duty, A (Baen)
  • Call to Insurrection, A (Baen)
  • Call to Vengeance, A (Baen)

(which were what I was looking for)

BTW, just noticed...

In my above examples, the searchable Titles are "Incredible Hulk, The" and "Call to Arms, A (Bane)".

But, when you display the issues of those Titles, what is the displayed Title?  "The Incredible Hulk" and "A Call to Arms (Baen)"

Humbly suggest that searching for "Incredible Hulk", "The Incredible Hulk" and "Incredible Hulk, The" should all include the obvious Title in the suggestions.

Humbly suggest that searching for "Call to Arms", "A Call to Arms" and "Call to Arms, A" should all include the obvious Title in the suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

For your consideration...

There exists a Title, popularly known as "The Broons", but officially entered in ComicBase as "Broons, The"

There also exists issue Four Color Comics (2nd Series) #1158 with an Item Title of "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver"

I can type in the Find tool either "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver" or "3 Worlds of Gulliver" and the desired suggestion is found and provided.

But I can only get success by typing "Broons"; "The Broons" provides no suggestions.

I realize this isn't because Item Title searches use different code from Title searches, but because the differences in entry/formatting of Titles vs. Item Titles behave differently for SQL LIKE searches.  But, it would be nice if the coding could produce consistent and more useful results.