Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus

Didn't find the first and second issues of "Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus"; I've submitted them through the database.  I'm guessing that it was thought that issue 3 was a continuation of the Silver Age Omnibus numbering, but it is a separate title/issue.  Just mentioning this here in case the submittal was dismissed because it was thought it was a continuation of the Silver Age.

I've included cover scans here (and also submitted via the database.)

JLABronze-2-HC.jpg

JLABronze-1-HC.jpg

The three Bronze Age omni are listed as Book #1/HC through Book #3/HC under the Justice League of America title.  

If the Bronze Age omni are to be listed under the Justice League of America title, then the Silver Age omnis probably should as well...  BUT the Silver Age omnis have their own title, PLUS James is correct in that there is also a separate title for the Bronze Age omni.  So my suggestion is that Book #1/HC through Book #3/HC get removed from Justice League of America and that all three books be listed under the Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus title.  

I know nothing about these issues, but it seems to me there is a detail that is not being explicitly provided or discussed...

What is the indicia?  

If they are to be listed under "Justice League of America", they can still be "Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus" under Item Title.

19 hours ago, James H. Dunlop said:

Didn't find the first and second issues of "Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus"; I've submitted them through the database.  I'm guessing that it was thought that issue 3 was a continuation of the Silver Age Omnibus numbering, but it is a separate title/issue.  Just mentioning this here in case the submittal was dismissed because it was thought it was a continuation of the Silver Age.

I've included cover scans here (and also submitted via the database.)

JLABronze-2-HC.jpg

JLABronze-1-HC.jpg

can you provide the full barcode numbers for #1 and #2?

On 1/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, Steven L. Dasinger said:

You can find them in 'Justice League of America' as Bk 1/HC and Bk 2/HC (along with BK 3/HC).

Not the same books, or more accurately the information is wrong.  Bronze Age Omnibus #1 (As opposed to the paperback one that leaves out "Omnibus") reprints 77-113, #2 reprints 114-146, and #3, which you list separately (although without the detailed notes)  collects Justice League of America #147-182, Super-Team Family #11-14, DC Special #27, DCSpecial Series #6, Secret Society of Super-Villans #15, DCComics Presents #17.

Under the original Justice League of America title, Bk 1 HC is 184-186, 192-194, and is the George Perez edition of the DC Library.  Number 2 at leat matches the full description and ISBN.

UPC Book 1 - 978140126806059999

UPS Book 2 - 978140127784759999

Book 1 matches despite the erroneous description, book 2 does not (has 847 instead of 857 before 59999.)  I did enter the wrong cover price when submitting; it's 99.99 not 125.

It would help us collectors if you could be consistent with these reprint books, especially the ominbuses that have their own series.  You list the silver age separately (actually twice, since the first book had a reprint; not sure why that wasn't 1-2 instead of 2nd series) but only the third Bronze Age book?  Plenty of other examples as well.

22 hours ago, James H. Dunlop said:

Not the same books, or more accurately the information is wrong.  Bronze Age Omnibus #1 (As opposed to the paperback one that leaves out "Omnibus") reprints 77-113, #2 reprints 114-146, and #3, which you list separately (although without the detailed notes)  collects Justice League of America #147-182, Super-Team Family #11-14, DC Special #27, DCSpecial Series #6, Secret Society of Super-Villans #15, DCComics Presents #17.

Under the original Justice League of America title, Bk 1 HC is 184-186, 192-194, and is the George Perez edition of the DC Library.  Number 2 at leat matches the full description and ISBN.

UPC Book 1 - 978140126806059999

UPS Book 2 - 978140127784759999

Book 1 matches despite the erroneous description, book 2 does not (has 847 instead of 857 before 59999.)  I did enter the wrong cover price when submitting; it's 99.99 not 125.

It would help us collectors if you could be consistent with these reprint books, especially the ominbuses that have their own series.  You list the silver age separately (actually twice, since the first book had a reprint; not sure why that wasn't 1-2 instead of 2nd series) but only the third Bronze Age book?  Plenty of other examples as well.

James, sounds like you own them and a bit of clean up is needed overall.

Bottomline... Should the listings under "Justice League of America: The Bronze Age Omnibus' title remain but with more accurate information be added? Do Bk 1/HC-Bk 3/HC need to be removed under the main 'Justice League of America' title?

Yes, I own them, and yes, I endorse separate title listing rather than under the original/main Justice League of America title.  The cover scans are above, would you want a back cover scan as well to include the UPC code? (although I typed those in above as well.)  At a minimum, Bk 3 is listed twice, once under the original title, and once under the Bronze Age Omnibus listing.

I think if you have a reprint 30+ years after the original book ends, it needs a separate listing.  I note that you don't list other omnibuses under the original title - at least the ones I own or found, such as Batman, Superman, New Teen Titans.  I'll also mention that the omnibuses typically collect from multiple series (hence the title) so that only listing under one title can be mis-leading.

I prefer listing everything according to its "official" title, and my spreadsheet (that I'm slowing entering into our database) includes title and volume number to separate things.  I even list "Annual" and "Special" separately as well.  I do acknowlege that I'm probably in a small minority on this, as the preference is likely a smaller list of titles.

(I also  recognize that using a database with a single unique field doesn't allow that; listing "2nd series" gets around that, although listing "mini-series" instead of the series can be confusing for some titles.) 

Reprint books, in particular, are tricky.  If it's a TPB of a mini-series, it makes sense to group it with the original title.  But for bigger titles, with multiple collections, separate titles I think is easier, as it gets harder to list them under one title.  As an example, I recently purchased "The Sandman: The Deluxe Edition" Books one-five.  I entered them as a new series, but got a 'View unrecognized items' when did an update and clicked on the link.  I finally found them under the main title as "Collector Set", since "Deluxe" had already been taken for previous books.  Nowhere was the book title actually listed.  The new "Item Title" field will help, for sure.  

Sorry to ramble on here, just mentioning a few things I've thought about since I've been entering more of my collection.

Edited by James H. Dunlop
typos

2 hours ago, James H. Dunlop said:

I think if you have a reprint 30+ years after the original book ends, it needs a separate listing.  I note that you don't list other omnibuses under the original title - at least the ones I own or found, such as Batman, Superman, New Teen Titans.  I'll also mention that the omnibuses typically collect from multiple series (hence the title) so that only listing under one title can be mis-leading.

In general, my understanding of CB's current editorial policy is that if a collected edition only collects issues from a single series, then the item often gets placed with the title it is reprinting.  There are exceptions, particularly if the collected edition is part of a series itself -- examples would include DC Archives, EC Archives, Marvel Masterworks, Marvel Epic collections. 

The timing of the release of the collected edition vs. the printing of the original series typically doesn't come into play.  This is particularly true for short run series and mini-series that get reprinted in single "one-and-done" volumes (see this thread for an example).  

In situations where issues from multiple series are included in a collected edition, then the item should probably be under its own title.  There may be exceptions, but typically this is the convention that is followed. 

In this particular case, there are books in the Justice League of America Silver Age and Justice League of America Bronze Age omnibus series that include issues from outside of the main Justice League of America title, so both of those series of reprints really do need to be listed as separate titles (which is the consensus decision in this thread, of course).  

Thanks, Gregory.  I think we're in general agreement.

The relatively straight-foward collections make sense under the original single-issue title.  It's the relatively rare ones where there's multiple reprint editions of the same issues where it gets complicated.  To pick two DC titles, Watchmen and Sandman must be pains in the ... to keep track of!

IF/when I find others that I think are mis-labeled, how best to send the info?  I tried to send an email using the message function at the top of this page, but got a bounce-back saying that "support @ ..." wasn't able to receive emails.  IS it best to try through the forum feature, or via "standard" email?

15 minutes ago, James H. Dunlop said:

It's the relatively rare ones where there's multiple reprint editions of the same issues where it gets complicated.  To pick two DC titles, Watchmen and Sandman must be pains in the ... to keep track of!

Yes, those two titles have been packaged and re-packaged so many times that they have gotten complicated! 

Collected editions of the original Hellblazer series is another complicated one.  It probably should have gotten some "break out" reprint titles in the database, but that ship has sailed so long ago that any kind of major clean-up will screw up the inventories in everybody's databases.  

15 minutes ago, James H. Dunlop said:

IF/when I find others that I think are mis-labeled, how best to send the info?  I tried to send an email using the message function at the top of this page, but got a bounce-back saying that "support @ ..." wasn't able to receive emails.  IS it best to try through the forum feature, or via "standard" email?

Emails to support usually should work, not sure what was going on over at Human Computing that caused difficulties with emails going to the support desk.  

If emails don't work, then the forum should work fine.  The forum is an especially good place to go if there is something complicated that would benefit from getting multiple sets of eyeballs on it and getting some discussion.