Screen Saver Conundrum

T Brock

I can't get the CB Cover Gallery screen saver to start automatically.

I am running CB 2023 Archive v23.1.0.2209 on Win 10 Home v22H2, 64-bit.

I can see the ComicBase Cover Gallery screen saver as an available option on the screen saver settings dialogue box, and when I click "Preview" it works fine.  But, if I tell it to start in X minutes and wait, it will never start on its own.  If I select another screen saver, 3D Text for example, and click "Apply", it will start on its own as expected after X minutes.  

As expected (?), the "CB Cover Gallery" screen saver (.scr) file is in the SysWOW64 folder, as well as a file called "ComicBase Cover Gallery.exe.config".

Any thoughts on making the screen save start on it's own as it should?

Thanks!

Thanks.  There’s no question in my mind that it works on other people’s systems… but it isn’t kicking in on mine.  Looking for thoughts on what might cause this particular screensaver to stumble on execution, but maybe this is an issue unique to me/my system.

On 2/11/2023 at 6:06 PM, T Brock said:

If I select another screen saver, 3D Text for example, and click "Apply", it will start on its own as expected after X minutes.

23 hours ago, Charles T. Burgess said:

All screensavers work except for ComicBase.

*singing* One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...

On 2/13/2023 at 1:14 PM, Fred Slota said:

*singing* One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...

On 2/13/2023 at 12:53 PM, Mark J. Castaneda said:

Best to check their power settings--if the screen saver starts in preview, it's working properly--something else on their computer is preventing auto start of the screen saver (disk / screen / network  power setting, likely)

Exactly as Fred noted, all other screen savers work as expected... meaning they start up on their one when the computer is left idle.  This leads me to believe there is no issue with power settings, rather something is creating a conflict with the CB screen saver... 

Charles - sorry you're in the same boat as me, but glad to know that I'm not just going crazy over here!

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue with my screensaver, but I've also been having a lot of technical issues with CB as of late (regular Sidekick errors, database not linking to the mobile app, phantom database on my online account). I'll be emailing support shortly.

As an added note on this issue, though, when I check the screen saver dropdown menu, I have both "ComicBase Cover Gallery" and "PComicBase Cover Gallery" listed as options. If I select the latter, it defaults to the former. "PComicBase" also disappears if I switch to a Windows screen saver, but reappears after I switch back to the regular "ComicBase Cover Gallery" screen saver and check the drop down again.

For now, it's back to the old Windows Photo slide show.

• 3 weeks later...

Its really hard to account for different users display configurations. You may want to see if you have other programs and/or special power saving settings that could be set to conflict with the screen saver.  Also look into making sure your Windows system and video card is updated with the latest firmware.

*If you have special display settings that we should know about please let us know (ex: resolution, multiple monitors, etc.).

I have a pretty basic setup. Just one monitor. My settings are for the screen saver to turn on after 10 minutes, the screen to turn off after 20 minutes, and the computer to go to sleep after 3 hours.

I update Windows and drivers at the beginning of every month.

Nothing's changed with my computer from the time between the screen saver still working and it stopping to work. I don't think I've even added any new programs.

Oh well. Just wanted to check in on it. If the screen saver is my only issue with the program, I can live with that.

• 2 months later...