Find By Publisher

Walt Grogan

Hi, all--

I wanted to find all titles by a certain Publisher. Once I determined that what I was looking for were Magazines, I chose Publisher from the Find drop-down and entered "ICG". The list came back very quickly (as seen below): 

image.thumb.jpeg.35fdcbd67be92a0609a5a22a185a4c45.jpeg

At this point, I was at a loss as to what to do. I wanted to select a title and jump to it, which didn't seem possible. I tried to print out the list of titles that were returned as references for looking them up, which didn't seem possible.

Ultimately, I opted to do a Find > Other...Advanced Find Search using the following query

MagazineTitles.Publisher = 'ICG'

which returned what I wanted, which was a list of Items.

So my questions regarding the results of performing a Find > Publisher are these:

1. What is the purpose of performing a Find > Publisher?
  2. How does the column, Overall Title, differ from the Title column?
  3. What is the purpose of the # column in the results?
  4. What is the purpose of the three custom checkbox columns as well as the unnamed checkbox column at the end of the row?

And here's an additional question, if you don't mind:

If I want to find all Items by a publisher and those items cross more than one Content Type (i.e Comics, Magazines, Books), I would have to do three independent searches, correct?

Thanks!

Before I tackle you question, I will address some of the problems you first mentioned with Find->Series Field, Publisher.
After you run the find and get a Title result set (what you have attached).

45 minutes ago, Walt Grogan said:

select a title and jump to it

You can double click on any of the rows to be taken to that specific Title.

print out the list of titles that were returned as reference

Instead of printing, click in the first cell under Title, go to the end of the list and, while holding down the SHIFT key, click in the last cell under title. This high-light the entire column. Then use CTRL+C to copy then CTRL+V to paste somewhere (text editor, spreadsheet, etc.).

------

Now for your questions.
1) Once the above problems you had have been answered, the Find for Publisher allow you to get a list of Titles by that publisher and see other Title level fields (Years Published, Overall Title, Custom Fields, Title Marked box). Unfortunately, a Title result can't be edited or changed but the list is still useful.

2 & 3) The Overall Title and # (Overall Title Sequence Number) are used (mostly for Books) for Titles that are part of a non-numbered series. For example, the 'Jack Reacher' books by Lee Child are not numbered but they are written in a certain sequence (where some plot elements of previous books could be mentioned). Using Overall Title with the Seq # allows you to 'Group' all these books together and they can be searched for by the Overall Title to get all of them. So the different individual Book Titles (Killing Floor, Die Trying, etc.) are how the non-numbered books are entered and the Overall Title is a way to 'group' them together with the seq number setting the order.

4) These are Title level Custom Boxes and a Title level Marked box. You can use these however you like. One purpose could be to use a custom Check for any Title you have all the issues of. I don't really use these but maybe others can mention how the use them.

If I want to find all Items by a publisher and those items cross more than one Content Type (i.e Comics, Magazines, Books), I would have to do three independent searches, correct?

Correct. As of now, you have to run a Find on each Type separately.

36 minutes ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

You can double click on any of the rows to be taken to that specific Title.

Steven, thanks for that! I had tried using the row selector's pop-up menu hoping a choice would have been there but never thought of double-clicking the row selector. For what I was trying to do, an Advanced search ultimately turned out to be the better option.

Thanks for answering my other questions as well!

So, are ComicTitles, MagazineTitles, BookTitles, and, I assume, NewspaperTitles literally four different tables in the DB?

Yes. those are the table used in Advanced Find to reference the various Title tables.

By the way, if you haven't found it yet there is a post (https://forums.comicbase.com/index.php?/topic/964-advanced-find-guidemanual-work-in-progress/) about the Advanced Find and the Title names (except for Newspapers (note to self: Update this)) for the different Types (near the bottom) that 'someone' put together...