Problem with Covers in ComicBase

Randall J. Paske

I had to replace my hard drive (I now have an SSD) and do a new installation of my operating system. I'm basically on a new system in an old shell.

I installed a fresh version of ComicBase and copied my Pictures folder, database backups, and log files from my old drive. Things seem to be working fine except for problems with cover images. The thumbnails frequently are not expanding to larger versions when selected, and often the thumbnails don't load at all, or load very slowly.

I have "Automatically download larger pictures when viewing items" selected.

What might the problem be?

Right-click on the picture in question to see:
1. Do you _have_   a larger version to show?, and 
2. Where is it located (is it on your SSD?) If it's somewhere else, check the location of your pictures in movies (under File > File Tools > Manage Pictures and Movies), as well as whether you have it set to automatically download larger versions. 

It was a location problem. The pictures are on my SSD drive, and I don't have any other drives connected. But I didn't have ComicBase pointing to the right folder location. So, having changed that, thumbnails are now expanding to the larger images.

But the thumbnails themselves are still rather slow to load, for some reason. They don't seem to load until I actually select a row. And the pictures up by the titles aren't loading, either, unless I have selected the row that contains the same picture and then left the title and returned.

As I mentioned, I do have "Automatically download larger pictures when viewing items" selected.

On 2/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, Randall J. Paske said:

But the thumbnails themselves are still rather slow to load, for some reason. They don't seem to load until I actually select a row. And the pictures up by the titles aren't loading, either, unless I have selected the row that contains the same picture and then left the title and returned.

As I mentioned, I do have "Automatically download larger pictures when viewing items" selected.

This part is still happening. Has anyone else experienced this?

It's a new WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB SATA III internal drive. I don't know what all of that means, but I had it installed at a local shop and I'm reading it off the product box. I don't know how to check the firmware version. (I don't see anything clearly labeled Firmware Version in Device Manager.) Windows says the drivers are up to date. Windows Update is supposed to check for updates weekly.

I'm not having issues with any other software or applications. A thumbnail comes up fast when I select a row, but no thumbnails are shown for rows I haven't specifically selected.

OK, so here's what happens. I go to a title that I haven't visited since upgrading my hard drive. No images are loaded.

image.thumb.png.04e2990ccf8d7fc18741325e3d134d50.png

No images will load at all, until I select a row. Then the thumbnail shows up. If I click the thumbnail, it shows the full-size image. The image at the top remains the generic image for the publisher.

image.thumb.png.4219c64cb32313aaae0a2463f0814ada.png

If I leave the title and then come back, the image at the top changes to the one I've loaded.

image.thumb.png.56a572d435d848df8e990106142bd554.png

So ComicBase can find my pictures, but it will not do so until I select a row in the grid. Obviously, I would prefer that they show up without my having to take that action.

It looks like you copied your pix to the wrong folder--basically, whatever folder you specified in File > File Tools > Manage Pictures and Movies is not the same as where your pictures are at, so only the new pictures you're interacting with (and auto-downloading) are appearing.

Keep in mind: the location specified for that folder is the folder which _contains_ the Pictures folder, not the pictures folder itself. If in doubt, click the "Reset" button, and move your pictures into the <Public Documents>\Human Computing folder on your computer.

-Pete