Sorted column breaks Quick Change?

Fred Slota

Search for Cover Artist "Ed Benes".

Sort (ascending) by Cover Artist, to find single artist entries versus multiple artist entries.

Select all single artist entries.

Right click "Quick Change..."

Change Cover Artist to "Ed Benés"

Cascade of errors.

I think what is happening is, the first correction is made and the grid resorts, breaking the multiple selection, but it wants to continue quick changing on the multiple selection.

I am unable to re-create your situation.

Find CoverArtist 'Benes, Ed'

Click on Cover Artist header to sort.

Select/Highlight all the single 'Ed Benes' rows.

Quick change to 'Ed Benés'

Change completed without any problems or errors.

Am I missing a step?

It may be possible if you have made a lot of changes, a Rebuild Lists could help.

I had done a rebuild lists yesterday, after making a few changes to Cover Artists, and verified that the wrong names got removed from the indexed list.

I have since made several other changes.

Thought, a detail that I did not mention before because I hadn't considered it was significant, but now I ponder...  Might it make a difference which order the group of rows is selected?  If, after ascending sort, the group is selected by clicking the first, then shift-clicking the last, might it behave differently if instead the group is selected by clicking the last, then shift-clicking the last?  I'll try and test it in a few...

It is a little more complicated.

Test data: Regular Find Cover Artist: Benes, Mariah
10 total rows. 9 rows with just Mariah Benes

There are 4 possible ways to run Quick Change when Selecting all the rows that only have Mariah Benes for Cover Artist:

Sort Ascending, click first row with only Mariah Benes, scroll down, press/hold Shift and click on last row with onl Mariah Benes'
Sort Ascending, scroll, click last row with only Mariah Benes, scroll up, press/hold Shift and click on first row with onl Mariah Benes'

Sort Descending, scroll down, click last row with only Mariah Benes, scroll up, press/hold Shift and click on first row with onl Mariah Benes'
Sort Descending, click first row with only Mariah Benes, scroll down, press/hold Shift and click on last row with onl Mariah Benes'

Here is a (shortened) list of the Cover Artist Values in Ascending and Descening order with Numbers to be specific on what rows are clicked on.

Ascending order:

1 Ed Benés, Mariah Benes
2 Mariah Benes
3 Mariah Benes
4 Mariah Benes

Shift Click on rows 2 then 4, fail, but 2 rows were changed.
Shift Click on rows 4 then 2, success

Descending order:

1 Mariah Benes
2 Mariah Benes
3 Mariah Benes
4 Ed Benés, Mariah Benes

Shift Click on rows 1 then 3, success, but only 4 rows changed.
Shift Click on rows 4 then 2, fail, but 1 row was changed.

Results.
Only one of the four methods worked successfully AND updated all the  rows (Ascending order, click Last then First).
One didn't cause any error messages but only changed 4 out of 9 rows (Descending order, click First then Last).

Two caused error messages.
Ascending, click First then Last (changed 2 out of 9 rows)
Descending, click Last then First (changed 1 out of 9 rows)

ERROR MESSAGES
First:
Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index when attempting to update grid cells for row 1 - field CoverArtist - Value Mariah Benés

Followed by:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter: index when getting item id for row 2

Repeated for each row as you clicked Ok.

Outside my parameters, yes, and possibly outside our need to exhaustively test once we've replicated and notified CB of a bug, but, if there is a bug that needs fixing, it would behoove the fixers to consider if there are more conditions that might also need considering.