Addition of Variant Covers

This may have been covered elsewhere, but I wasn't able to quickly find an answer. I have a growing set of variant covers that aren't included in the list of covers. Is there a quick way to submit them for addition? I don't have the time to research or input all of the information needed to add the cover, but want to at least flag it as missing. The "add new content" only works for changing an already existing entry. Ideally I'd like to be able to just snap a picture of the front (and back if the barcode info is there) on my phone and submit it through the phone app, but I'm willing to submit through the web or computer app.  I also have a growing stack of comics which don't seem to have an entry at all. Is this the right forum to find out if I'm just not looking under the right title names?

Thanks,

Kenny

Add new content does not work only on existing issues.

You can add a new issue (with minimal information if you don't have time). This would include enough information to define or identify it (and cover scan helps).

Once added, you can click on it and submit the new information.

Variants are a tricky item, however. You might need to check with the editors to see if is there or how to name it (mostly this is with lettered variant (i.e. A, B. C).

Yes, you can post here is you are trying to find if an issue exists but is just hard to find. If you do, include enough information to be able to identify it. Barcode, cover scan, title (cover and/or indicia), title, issue number, publisher, etc. are helpful.

The instructions here (https://comicbase.com/mycb/Article.aspx?N=16)  state "To submit corrections or additions, just highlight the issues in question, right-click, and choose “Submit new or corrected data” from that menu that appears." There are no instructions on adding a new item. Are those instructions elsewhere? Can a new item be added from the mobile app?

18 minutes ago, Kenneth Horneman said:

The instructions here (https://comicbase.com/mycb/Article.aspx?N=16)  state "To submit corrections or additions, just highlight the issues in question, right-click, and choose “Submit new or corrected data” from that menu that appears." There are no instructions on adding a new item. Are those instructions elsewhere? Can a new item be added from the mobile app?

To add a new item, create the issue in your database.  If you have a scan of the item, add that to the appropriate image folder.  Then proceed with the instructions at the link in your post.  

The mobile app isn't set up for submitting corrections or additions to Human Computing.  It's really only intended to allow users to see what issues are included in the master database and to see which of those items are in stock in your database(s).  

Not quite. Items->New Comic Book is used to add a new Title.  What you want (unless you really have a new title not in CB) is do the following.

To add a new issue you go the title, then click on the  + / - button located in the Middle right-side of the window (just above the 'splitter' line separating the issue grid information for the top part of the window).
See attachment 1.

By default it will start with the next issue number. YOu can change any/all information.

Alternately, you can select / hi-light the issue number you want to add a duplicate for, Right-Click and select Duplicate from the pop-up menu.

This will bring up an issue edit window with all the information of the issue you are duplicating.
Again, you can change any/all information as needed.
See Attachment 2.

Add New Issue 1.jpg

Add New Issue 2.jpg

Ok, thanks, that does seem a like an easier way to do it. Where am I supposed to put the picture and what is the naming convention for it? Does the picture need to be cropped, or a particular size? I'd like to contribute to expanding the database, but I have probably hundreds of comics that are not in the database, so I'm still deciding if it's worth the effort.

Kenny

Sorry, forgot the cover scan info.

Yes, the scan should be cropped. Any size is acceptable (greater than 300 dpi is overkill, however).

It must be a *.jpg file.

To name it, you the Issue number as it appears in CB EXCEPT replace any '/' with a '-' (since Windows doesn't allow the '/' in a file/directory name). Some examples:

Issue #        Cover_Scan file name

1                  1.jpg

1/A              1-A.jpg

Bk 1            Bk 1.jpg

Bk 1/HC      Bk 1-HC.jpg

Bk 1/HC-2  Bk 1-HC-2.jpg

Once you have the file name, drag/drop it in the grid area of CB (where the data is). This will place it in the correct picture folder (creating the folder for the title if it didn't exist).

By default, the cover scans are stored in C drive \Users\Public\Documents\Human Computing\Pictures

Inside the Pictures folder are folders named #, A through Z (27 total) which is the first letter of the Publisher (If a number it would be in the # folder). Each of these are folder with Publisher names. Each on these contain the Titles for those publishers.

NOTE: the only exceptions are Dark Horse, DC, Image, and Marvel. At the time they had so many titles, that each of them has an additional set of # A through Z folder which contain Title folder names.

Finally, you can change the location of the Pictures folder File-File Tools, Manage Pictures and Movies. If you do this, put in the name of the folder that CONTAINS the Pictures folder and NOT the actual Pictures folder itself.