Smarter identification of "Regular Issue"

Fred Slota

So, I was walking through my collection, trying to identify holes I want to fill, doing this with the "View | Items to Show" set to Owned Items + Regular Issues" when I get to the Title "Angel (Boom!)", which I have spotty ownership of.  I am presented with the following list bold I own):

0, 2, 5/A, 5/B, 5/C, 5/D, 5/E, 6/A, 6/B, 6/C, 6/D, 7/A, ...

No variations of issue #1, #3, #4?

1) Okay, 0 and 2 had straight "Regular" variations.  That makes sense.  Nothing else is shown, no bloody A, B, C or D, no multiple printings, they all get ignored.

2) 5 and 6, had no straight "Regular" variations; they only had lettered variations.  Apparently this situation is recognized as consisting of multiple regular issues, so some issues that in case 1 would be ignored are instead now considered "Regular".

3) So, what's up with 1, 3 and 4?  As in case 2, they had no "Regular" variations.  However, in addition to having several lettered variations, they also each had a reprint "2nd" variation.  Apparently, having no straight "Regular", but having a reprint "2nd", prevents the lettered variations from being considered "Regular".

I think that the rules for deciding what is a regular issue needs a little modification.  I propose that, in the absence of a regular issue, regardless of if there are reprints, that lettered variations be considered "Regular".

There might be more circumstances to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

In the case you're referring to, there is no regular issue, so all the variants are considered as needing to be shown.

There's no ability to handle cases where. "1/A, 1/B, and 1/C were each 33% common covers, but 1/D was the super-limited convention special". If there was no issue that was just #1, it's considered that that issue number has no "primary issue" and the filter to "show regular + owned issues" is forced to show any issue that's either (a) in stock, (b) is a primary issue, or (c) all variants in cases where that issue # has no primary issue.