Auto-save Exiting Not Happening

Scott Howell

I have had the save backup on exit enabled but it is no longer working.  I have double checked that it is selected, but it will not save a copy upon exit. I've added comics over th weekend, but as you can see in the attached image,  copy was not made nor is there a pattern to when it is made. 

Thanks,

Scott

1785700175_comicbasesaveimage.thumb.png.2d1ed923778898b554390d4874104952.png

if its still not working, in CB Preferences menu, select instead the 'Save backups to same folder...' option then hit Save. Exit out of CB2020 and see if the backup process works to the default location.

If it does, try setting the other 'Save all backs to folder' option again and exit.

Let us know how you make out.

I am having the same trouble (again). In the past, around  the start of Feb this year, when I had the problem, I delete the ComicBase Settings.ini file, let CB recreated it and it started to make backups again.

However, when I looked now the last back up was on Feb 22, 2020. So it lasted about 2-3 weeks.

I have downloaded the latest version (3173) and I still am not getting backups. I have tried deleting the ComicBase Settings.ini file and letting CB recreated it (and then changing preferences to the correct Backup location) and it still is not creating backups.

While doing this have have made changes to the database which should have made it create backups but it isn't.

So, I set to same directory and right-side x closed and a file was made.  

I set back to a backup directory and it is making backups.  Using upper-right and through file-exit.  

One thing I noticed is that at least on my Surface is that I no longer see the popup window showing one being copied.

Seems to be working now. 

We've had a few (so far, unreproducible on our gear in the office) reports of backups not saving when you exit the program using the close box instead of File > Exit. Try to latest build -- posted yesterday -- and see if you can make the program  not  save a backup on your machine via any method of closing. (We changed up some of the closing routines to try to work around any cases where the process might close prematurely before saving backups when the window is disposed).

-Pete

So far, the backup is working but a related problem appeared.
I have backups going to my E: drive and not the default location.

Installed V3176
Opened CB
Did not make any changes.
Used 'X' to close CB.
Backup was NOT created.

Opened CB
Did not make any changes.
Used File->Exit to Close CB.
It automatically ran Optimize Database.
Backup WAS created.

Opened CB
Did not make any changes
Used 'X' to close CB
Backup WAS created.

Opened CB
Ran Weekly Update ( I thought it was fixed so I did the update when the other tests had no changes)
Closed CB with CTRL+Q
Backup Was created BUT in the Default location (something changed my backup location setting)

I did more testing (with no changes and without an Optimize Database).

Open CB
Close with either 'X' or File->Exit
Backup IS created in Location Specified in Preferences (E: Drive for me).

Open CB
Close with CTRL+Q
Backup IS created BUT the Backup Location in Preferences is reset back to the Default location and the backup is in that default location.

I have repeated this a couple of times and the Backup Location is always set to default when using CTRL+Q.

=====================================

More information.

The Optimize Database seems to be important.
I have 2 databases. Previous tests were on DB 1.  These additional tests are on DB2

Changed to DB2 then Closed CB.
Opened CB (so it is in DB2)
Used 'X' to close CB.
Backup is NOT created.

Opened CB.
Used 'X' to close CB (again)
Backup is NOT created (wanted to check that mulitple use of 'X' had no effect).

Opened CB.
Manually ran Optimze Database
Used 'X' to close CB.
Backup WAS created.

It appears you need the new version AND to run Optimze Database (either manually or File->Exit will run it automatically) to get backups to start working.

(CTRL+Q resetting Backup Location is still a problem.)

Edited by Steven L. Dasinger