A few items to add to the database

I have come across four books that should be added to the database. First off, I would like to know what is the optimal way to go about it. It seems that if I put a post here, it allows the community to find the item if it is indeed hidden somewhere with a non-intuitive title or something. That said, I am pretty sure these are simply not in the system. I can of course provide any info for database population if needed as I have the books on my desk.

Francis, Brother of the Universe #1 Direct Market $1.00 Variant

-at least that is what I call it. It may in fact be a second printing with no indication, but I also have the more common 75 cent cover issue (which is in Comicbase) and the only difference seems to be that the $1.00 cover price version has no UPC box at all, not even a Spidey head. It simply has the full artwork without the UPC box in the bottom right corner. Both versions are wraparound covers.

Los 4 Fantasticos: !Isla de la Muerte! Edicion Boricua en Espanol #1

-This is a variant, of sorts, of Fantastic Four: !Isla de la Muerte! #1. It is the same book, but in Spanish. It was published by Marvel US and solicited along with the English Language version, which is in the system. Obviously, the first exclamation point should be upside-down and there are two missing accents in my transcription. It should probably be listed as its own book, as it is listed in the indicia with the Spanish title only, and is actually materially different (well, in a different language at least.)

Ghost Rider (Toy Biz Giveaway)

-Number 10 is the only one in the system. Personally, I only have number 6. There were at least ten of these minicomics, packaged with the Toy Biz Ghost Rider figures in the 90's. Each one continues into the next.

GI Joe: A Real American Hero #3 M Logo Variant

I have never seen this variant properly distinguished anywhere. Yojoe.com has it listed as the M Logo Variant. I have always assumed it was a second printing (which would make what is currently called the second printing actually be the third printing.) There are a couple of clues to back this up. It is called the M logo variant, because the issue number and price (60 cents) are contained in the letter M, as opposed to the two boxes found on the regular newsstand edition or the diamond of the standard direct market version. It also has a Spidey head in the UPC box, which tells us it is a direct market book. The book which is currently listed in Comicbase as a second printing has a 75 cent cover price, and certainly came out later, assuming such a version actually exists (memory tells me it does, but I couldn't find proof, and the fact that Yojoe only has scans of the three 60 cent versions I am discussing made me wonder.) Anyway, what we are calling the M logo variant must be a second print, because although there is no other indication that it is not a first printing, the Bullpen Bulletins is from 8 months later, soliciting #11 of the same title.

So there you go. I will have other additions and submissions as I input along, but this is a first batch. Let me know the best way to go about these things in future. Thanks.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:19 PM, Michael Allen said:

Los 4 Fantasticos: !Isla de la Muerte! Edicion Boricua en Espanol #1

-This is a variant, of sorts, of Fantastic Four: !Isla de la Muerte! #1. It is the same book, but in Spanish. It was published by Marvel US and solicited along with the English Language version, which is in the system. Obviously, the first exclamation point should be upside-down and there are two missing accents in my transcription. It should probably be listed as its own book, as it is listed in the indicia with the Spanish title only, and is actually materially different (well, in a different language at least.)

This is already in the database.

Here is a 150dpi scan of the cover requested, plus the other two that don't appear to be in the system. A little deeper look seems to have answered some questions about the Francis comic. It appears to be a second printing. The indicia is the same on the two books, with the exception that the date of 1980 as it appears after the issue number has been removed, leaving an empty space, on the one with the $1 cover. Both mention the cover price is the same in the US and Canada, and both mention that Paulist Press has exclusive rights to religious market distribution. It appears that there was only one version, and that they then did a second printing post-1980 and raised the cover price a quarter.

GI Joe #3 M Logo Variant.pdf Francis Brother of the Universe #1 Second Printing.pdf Ghost Rider Special Edition #6 Toy Biz Giveaway.pdf

Here is the indicia scan. There is really no doubt in my mind that the M logo GI Joe #3 is a second print, for the reason of the M logo Alan DeCamp mentions, and the ones I mentioned earlier. It has never been recognized as such anywhere I have seen to date, but it has been tagged as a second print in my collections for many years.

At the risk of opening a Pandora's box, the first post in this attached thread should probably be the last word on Whitman variants, and has a wealth of information regarding the exact identification of early Marvel direct market editions and the so-called Whitmans.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/463770-can-we-all-agree-that-marvel-whitmans-are-not-a-thing/

Personally, I still wonder if some of the pre-1979 Whitmans (the ones with the large diamond as opposed to the later, direct-market diamond) might just actually have been specifically produced for the three-packs, but evidence seems to show that they were simply the early direct market versions, and that they were also the ones used to fill the Whitman three-packs. Either way, the first wave of direct market versions are certainly relatively scarce.

Which leads up to: I have an Incredible Hulk #213 that is a Whitman, or direct market version. Can we add it as its own book? In my world, I only differentiate between direct market versions and newsstand for these early books through 2/80 (up until the appearance of Spidey in the UPC box.) I included a cover scan.

GI Joe #3 M Logo variant indicia.pdf Incredible Hulk #213 Whitman Edition.pdf

10 hours ago, Mark J. Castaneda said:

my memory is hazy... aren't the 'diamond' versions a Whitman edition?

The small diamond usually meant Direct Distribution, the large diamond was definitely Whitman (But later they just used Direct Distribution copies with the small diamond), then Marvel went to the "M" for direct Distribution.

• 5 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 5:09 PM, Mark J. Castaneda said:

any mention inside the Francis, Brother of the Universe #1 if its a Canadian edition?

Can you provide a cover image for the GI Joe: A Real American Hero #3 M Logo Variant?

HI MARK COULD YOU ALSO ADD THE OTHER VAMPIRELLA VALENTINES SPECIAL COVERS PLEASE