The ComicBase Livestream thread!

33 minutes ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

However, he was incorrect in that it is NOT displayed in Add By Barcode.

Yep, and this is the key thing that Fred was talking about. You can only see the new cover after you finish entering your comics and display them after saving. It would be very useful if you could see the newly downloaded cover from the Add by Barcode window.

33 minutes ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

PS: If you had scanned the issue in one time (when it is not displayed in Add By Barcode), if you had 'Display Items After Saving' checked, when you click save, the result display WILL show the newly downloaded cover.

You are correct. That was my experience this evening, although I may not have explained it clearly enough in my post. 

13 hours ago, Andrew d’Entremont said:

Fred mentioned that he'd like to see auto downloading of new covers when entering by barcode and Pete told us that as long as "Automatically download larger pictures when viewing items" was checked under preferences that it should work. Well, I made sure to update my preferences and I just finished entering a batch of new comics and I can tell you that it still does not seem to work.

I asked Pete about this and here is the significant part of the reply:

(from Pete): Timing issue between the download and the need to keep up with your scanning where a solution which "waits" for the download before displaying is likely worse than the problem of not immediately seeing it if it means you miss a subsequent scan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any interest in notes being added for comics seen in movies or television shows? Not films based on comics, but instances where a character is clutching a Superman comic, or there is a shot of a newsstand with comics on display?

I was watching Black Mirror today, and in S06E05 "Demon 79" spotted a copy of Power Man and Iron Fist #54 peeking out from under a bookshelf at 41:55, which sent me down a rabbit hole. Probably not a collecting niche I will ever pursue, but could be a fun game to play during a livestream. Are there notes like this already in the database that I've overlooked?

3 hours ago, Lance Fittro said:

Any interest in notes being added for comics seen in movies or television shows? Not films based on comics, but instances where a character is clutching a Superman comic, or there is a shot of a newsstand with comics on display?

I was watching Black Mirror today, and in S06E05 "Demon 79" spotted a copy of Power Man and Iron Fist #54 peeking out from under a bookshelf at 41:55, which sent me down a rabbit hole. Probably not a collecting niche I will ever pursue, but could be a fun game to play during a livestream. Are there notes like this already in the database that I've overlooked?

I already see "LOC" comments from comic book celebrities under the "Notes" column of ComicBase, so I agree it would be fun to add such notes to comic book issues that have made appearances in movies and TV series. That being said, perhaps we would have to come up with an acronym such as "LOC" to keep it conistent and easy to find such notes in ComicBase. 

On 6/18/2023 at 5:50 PM, Lance Fittro said:

There is a long-running (if sporadically active) thread on this very topic over at the Collectededitions.com/Marvel Masterworks fansite message boards.  

• 1 month later...

Two Livestream suggestions...

1) Re-re-re-request a tour of what it looks like from the editor's point of view when they process additions/corrections/new cover scans.

2) Demonstrations of cover attributes...  Standard, wide, wraparound, gatefold, Ptych, Binding types, special covers...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...