CB2021 - installation/start up trouble

Mark J. Castaneda

I am having trouble with install and start up (version 1172).

Both errors refer to the C: drive, despite the fact that I loaded it to the D: drive.  (As an experiment, I also tried loading it to the C: drive, but no dice.)

I have tried running the installer normally and "as administrator" with no changes.

Any help would be awesome... thanks.

-dave

IMG_1026.thumb.jpg.9559e710ddfb8ecae7fa32c0e4d38a51.jpg

IMG_1027.thumb.jpg.42de087c770766def0e878765974d8f6.jpgIMG_1026.thumb.jpg.9559e710ddfb8ecae7fa32c0e4d38a51.jpg

It looks like there's some sort of permissions issue on your drive, where you're not being allowed to set the security settings for one of the system folders (C:\ProgramData).

Things I'd try:

1. Uninstall ComicBase, then...

2. Try right-clicking on the installer and choose "Run as Administrator"

3. Temporarily disable any security software that might be blocking the install

4. Try downloading the prerequisites directly from here if needed:
https://comicbase.com/distro2021/cb2021resources.exe

Please write back and let me know what you experience--a couple of people have had this issue, and I'd really like to determine a cause/workaround.

-Pete

35 minutes ago, Thomas Conroy said:

Still having the same problem come up even when downloading the prerequisites directly.  I don't even show a C:\ProgramData folder when I list them.  I tried "Run as Administrator".  Nothing seems to work.

Same here.  When I use the installer, I get the "Could not set security for file..." error, but after closing it, it confirms that the program loaded anyway.  Then when I try to open the program, it gives me the "Required file..." error.  I have tried doing both as "run as administrator".

Using the prerequisites (running as administrator) throws me the first error almost immediately and brings things to a stop.

I use Avast, but have it turned off currently.  My computer is a year old, so it should not be a performance issue (not that it looks like one).

-dave 

Anyone having this particular issue: Please give me a call at 408-266-6883 so we can set up a remote session and investigate. Would really like to get whatever the underlying conflict is sorted out ASAP. (You can also send me email directly at support@comicbase.com, if the phones don't ring through due to the hour/holiday)

-Pete

For anyone still having permissions issues when installing:

- I posted a new build (1209) -- which removes the permission setting in the ProgramData folder which we used to need to do to have themes work. This hasn't been a problem for most users, but if that's what's causing your machine to hack up a hairball, this may fix it for you. PLEASE give it a shot and let me know--good or bad--whether this solved it for you.

- If it didn't, please send me a note at support@comicbase.com with your phone # and the best time to call you -- I _really_ want to put this issue to bed if possible before we publicize the release widely.

Thanks!

-Pete