ComicBase 2020 no longer runs

Kaleb Swenson

If you had already configured database file backups under the preferences options, you have a backup you .cbdb you could restore, then try starting CB with that copy.   Not sure if it by default makes auto-backups.  

Look in your folder to see if there are, below is my example directory.   rename bad file, then copy last backup to the file name and open it.   

image.png.b632674eed53cda1eae8db1523c831b8.png

try holding the Ctrl key as you start up the software to force a table re-check. See if that fixes things.

Still no luck, head into the File Menu>File Tools> run the Rebuid Lists one more time and see if that helps.

if you still have trouble, please contact us directly at support@comicbase.com or 408-266-6883 ext 403 (lead programmer Pete).

It's working now. Yay!

Mark - I tried the CTRL key but it did nothing.  The program still locked up while loading and crashed.

Brian - I had a backup zip file from 3 days ago, so I just tried to open that file. (There wasn't anything newer...so I think that was not a good sign.)

ComicBase 2020 opened that file and asked if I wanted to convert it.  I said no and opened it as Read Only.

I was missing about 200 books, so that file wasn't going to do me any good.

I closed the program.  I ran ComicBase 2020 again and everything seems to be working now.

I put in 200 books, shut the program down, opened it up again, and put in another 100 books.  

Shutdown and opened it up again.  Everything seems to be working now and I didn't lose anything.

(I did increase my number of backups to cover me in the future!)

Thank you for the help!

Kaleb

Kaleb,

Glad to hear it.  You can also find my very cheap .bat file solution I use to send my database to all my cloud backups when I exit CB2020, over in the old forums at https://atomicavenue.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9359 

Nothing special, but it gets the job done.   I shovel backups of my CB data everywhere because, no way am I going to re-enter 16000+ books again.   I even have my very last backup of data from every version of CB going back for the last 10 years, just in case i need a reference.  Disk storage is cheap, time and data entry is not.     I even copy a file onto my Android phone's SD card every now and then.

-BRIAN

Edited by Brian J. Stewart
typo