HELP! Setup and Entering Collection Questions

Troy Holmi

Hello.  I am having trouble finishing installation and starting entering my collection.  When I enter a series like Captain America it lists all of the issues in the database but I only see the cover picture of #100 and all of the other issue numbers in grid form down the page do not have any cover pictures.  I thought I have downloaded the pictures from the installation disc correctly but I guess not since I dont see any covers to the left of the issue number.  Please advise what I am doing wrong or have not done.  

Also I dont really know how to start entering my collection.  Do I have to start a new database or do I just start entering my comics by scanning and entering manually if they do not have barcodes to scan once I open Comicbase?  This has become pretty frustrating on knowing what I may or may not have already entered as I tried entering a few but dont know if they are in there or not?  LOL.  Please advise.  Thank you.

What edition of CB do you have?

The Express Edition has about 5,000 covers

The Professional Edition has about 50,000 covers

The Archive Edition has about 675,000 covers

With about 60,000 Titles that works out to:

Express has 1 cover for every 12 Titles on average

Pro has 1 cover for every 1.2 Titles on average

Archive has 11.25 Cover per Title on average.

My guess is you have the Pro Edition which will only have 1 or 2 covers per Title.

=====

For you other question, The default database that opens is ready to go.  As you stated, you can use a barcode scanner using the menu Items->Add by Barcode option.

At the least, all that needs to be done is go to the Title you want to add a comic, scroll down that the issue (if needed), and change the value under QTY (Quantity in Stock) from a 0 to a 1 (assuming you only have 1 Issue. It could be 2 or more if you have multiples).  At that point, you have an item in the database.  That is all that is needed. You can also, change other things, like Condition, Cost, Notes, any Custom Columns you may define, etc.

=====

There are a few ways to find what you have entered already.

One quick way is to bring up the Titles window by: Clicking on the icon between the two arrows in the top right corner, or pressing CTRL+T.

When the Titles window comes up, click on the radio button by Titles In Stock.

At that point, the list of Titles below will ONLY be ones you have QTY >= 1 for any Issue.

Another way is to use the View button at the top (to the left of the text input box) and select Items to Show->Owned Items.

At this point, when you scroll through the Titles (you can do this with the Arrow buttons in the top left corner), all that will be displayed are items with QTY >-= 1 (i.e. items you own).

NOTE: Don't forget about setting what to View as it can be confusing if you are tying to find Titles you don't own.

=====

Owned Titles list.JPG

Find Owned Items.JPG

Regarding cover pictures - for example Iron Man series 1 - I entered a few issues I have but for the 200+ issues in that series I only see one cover picture for #1 and no other cover pictures at all.  For CB 2021 Pro - is that correct? I would have expected more cover pics than 1 in 200+ issues.  A little disappointing considering the cost for 2021 Pro.  Or am I missing something and not finished the pictures installation?  Please advise.  Thank you.

No, that is correct. For the Pro edition, there are about 50,000 covers. with about 60,000 Titles, that is not even 1 cover for every Title.  And since a few Titles have 2 (or maybe 3 covers), not every Title will have even 1 cover.

Unfortunately, that is what the extra cost for the Archive edition is for. All the covers and the ability to download new ones. (and a few other things but cover is the biggest, I think).

That makes 100% sense.  I now understand the extra features of the archive edition! Thank you.  I just have to say that this forum is absolutely incredible!! The help and speed of getting my dumb questions answered is awesome! Thank you so far everyone and I definitely am excited to use this great program.  THANK YOU COMICBASE! LOL.