Printed Barcodes on Labels not scanning correctly

Daniel Gersper

I started printing the barcode on the ID labels and when I try scanning it drops the 1st and last character. They are both letters which may have something to do with it. Anyway, I have DX Laser Barcode Scanner and have used the Quick Setup guide in the Comicbase support site but doesn't fix it. It scans the actual comics just fine, it's just the barcode that comes from printing our labels. I have tried programming it with Mk2 DX Laser Scanner quick setup to see if it made a difference but no luck. Any thoughts? Is there extra programming that I am supposed to add to the quick start guide version?

Make sure you've downloaded/installed the latest version for CB2021 from your online account here: https://www.comicbase.com/mycb//Registrations.aspx

Things to try:

-you can try to reset the scanner to factory settings then go through the Expert Setup off the setup guide.

-print a new ID label just in case something about the comic has changed then try to scan with the scanner.

-the ID labels are unique to the database they were created from. If you happen to scan the label into a different database, it won't work right. Is this the case for you?

If you still have trouble, email our team at support@comicbase.com. Include a brief summary of what's going on & what you've tried to do fix the problem yourself. If you can save a digital sample of the problematic barcode label and attach it in an email that could help us test the problem on our end.

I do have the latest software. I tried resetting scanner and then re-running the quick setup. I also tried different options per a thread I found concerning codabar, but no luck. I am using the comicbase database only, I notice if I type in the printed barcode then the lookup works, but the scanner is skipping the 1st and last digits so I assume it's got to be the scanner programming somehow. I check it against notepad to see what it's actually scanning. Thanks.

• 11 months later...

Hi, I'm using the Manhattan CCD scanner I purchased some years ago with my Comicbase product and I am getting the same issue with the printed bar code labels.  It reads it and does not include the leading and ending characters.  I have reset the DB, the scanner, and reconfigured it several times.  I have the latest 2021 version with the updates.

Is there something missing in the scanners' configs?   Again, I'm using the configs you suggest in the PDF for the Manhattan scanner.  

image.png.2bddc00a30d53a9ca8f549b29ed08e9f.png

Here's the config you provided:

image.thumb.png.f7d89aa67227888ca284d102afb358b3.png

Any thoughts or suggestions?  I have printed out about 3 pages of labels and now find they don't work.  I'll still use them but the bar code is currently useless.

thanks!

Clyde Kennedy

The type of barcode the ID labels use is the 'codabar' type. The quick start manual won't have the setup codes for that, see if you can chase down the full multi-page manual or contact Manhattan support for assistance.

We haven't carried the Manhattan for years so we can't provide much tech support on this one. There's also a chance the scanner may not be scanning like it use to, may be time to consider a new model.

For the Manhattan CCD scanner, this is what you want (click for full size, you might need to print or use a device with a higher pixel density than a computer monitor, like an iPhone or something):
scanner_conf.thumb.png.fd9dfc42ce104ae198c4b160b4300d1e.png

Start configuration, then turn this ON:

scanner_codabar.thumb.png.77b0945f455fc76d01d5332da6310e19.png
I dunno if you need to save before or after Ending Configuration. I thought I tried both and it didn't seem to take until I saved before AND after. So I'd suggest doing that.

Another thing I'd recommend changing is setting the terminator to *just* CR:

scanner_terminator.thumb.png.b2df19a2866827d393e0320d819997a7.png

CR+LF was causing problems; some programs interpreted it as two presses of the Enter key, while Firefox would open "Downloads" whenever I tried to scan something into the DCD lookup, for example.

I attached the whole manual. Hopefully that's not a problem 

400866_manual_eng_04.pdf

Edited by Dylan Colborne
fixed full-sized links

Hi Dylan, 

Thank you !! 

Those two codes you provided worked along with the basic configuration that is listed in the PDF I posted.  I started the configuration, scanned your two codes and then the two codes from the PDF (Decode with supplement & Transmit 2&5).  I then scanned 'end configuration' and then 'save parameters' code.  Works great!  I can scan in a comic as normal into the search bar and it takes me to the correct comic.  I can use the ctrl 'i' (not j as i have 2021 archive edition) and can scan in multiple comics into the 'add by barcode' window.  

I then scanned in the label bar codes I created and it worked for both the search bar and the 'add by barcode' feature as well.  

Works great!! 

Thanks!! 

Clyde Kennedy