Cannot Submit New or Corrected Data

Scott Edwards

Hello,

Any time I try to Submit New or Corrected Data, a box immediately pops up that says, "Had trouble connecting to the ComicBase server. Please try again.  If the problem persists, make sure your internet connection is working properly, and that ComicBase is added as an allowed program on your firewall."  I have the most up-to-date version of ComicBase Express, I have full internet access, ComicBase Express AND ComicBase Sidekick are both listed as allowed programs in my Norton Security firewall, my Windows 10 firewall, and even for good measure in my router's firewall.  I have even completely uninstalled my firewall from my computer and re-installed ComicBase with no security protection whatsoever and I am getting the same message.  I can successfully download updates and successfully post comics for sale to Atomic Avenue.  It just won't let me submit new or corrected data.

I also tried bringing my laptop to work and connected to the network there to see if it was a problem on my network at home, but I got the exact same message while on the network there.

What makes this an even bigger source of frustration for me is that I've installed ComicBase on both my laptop AND my desktop and tried all of the same things I mention above on both computers.  Yet somehow I keep getting the same message.

Does anyone have any idea what else I can look into to try to get this to work correctly?  Thanks!

tested with the latest CB2021 Express build and don't get any trouble sending corrections. You can get it here if you're running an older version: https://www.comicbase.com/mycb/Registrations.aspx

firewall settings and/or protection software like Norton would be things to check if ComicBase has a program exception so it can have internet access (which sounds like you might have already checked).

if you're on any kind of business connection where your employer controls your internet that might be a cause.

Look at your modem/router; there could be a setting at play that could be blocking.

Mark,

I've exchanged emails with Pete and these are all things he's already suggested and I've already tried.  Been having this problem since I first installed the program back in December. 

I am on the latest version and I've already set ComicBase and Sidekick as allowed programs on my Norton, Windows 10, and router firewalls.

I'm thinking there must be some port I have to open or other internal setting I have to change but nobody seems to know how to help me with this.  It's extremely baffling and frustrating.

Scott, I have been having the same issue for months as well.  I have tried switching out my DNS servers (not change).  I have bypassed my laptop's FW and removed it completely (no change).  I have done a packet capture on my WiFi interface and I see I am sending traffic, but nothing comes back.

I got the same troubleshooting advice that wasn't any help either.  I am pretty frustrated as well.

• 3 weeks later...

This worked with another user with different CB internet feature you guys might want to try...

head to your online account here and update your password: https://www.comicbase.com/mycb/ChangePassword.aspx

*password requirements

-only use letters and numbers; no special characters

-at least 6 characters in length

-include at least 1 capped letter and 1 number

after updating the password, in the ComicBase software, go the internet menu>login information and enter your revised login credentials. See if that helps when you try to submit corrections.

Mark,

I just tried this, and again I am getting the exact same result.  Any other ideas?  I am no computer tech person, but just based on scientific method I believe that the problem is not with the ComicBase software and is not with my security.  Is there anything else within the workings of the computer or the network that might be causing this situation?

Scott

Hey Scott,

that's all the ideas I got.

Other things that could be worth looking into...

-a different software security program could be blocking; i've seen it happens with other users who didn't realize they had more than 1 installed/running.

-if you're on a protected network - this kinda thing happens on a company network where they restrict certain employee internet privileges. Highly unlikely on a home network but you never know if it could be set.

-using an outside/public wi-fi connection. The connection is so low/bad it can't do certain internet actions as well on a home network connection.

-review you network settings just to make sure its not set too high where it blocks out certain internet actions

-if you're on wifi, see if you can test the problem with a standard wired connection.

• 3 weeks later...

I also have something else going on, and although on the surface this looks like a separate issue, I am wondering if this problem is related to my inability to connect to the ComicBase server when trying to SUBMIT NEW OR CORRECTED DATA.

The additional problem is this -- On my profile screen on ComicBase.com I have only one badge unlocked -- the one you get for updating for the first time.  I have used the software for six months now, trying out every feature of ComicBase Express that there is, and yet no other badges have been unlocked.  Is it possible that this is also caused by whatever failure to connect to the server has prevented me from submitting new or corrected data?  Could someone look into this for me?  Perhaps solving this problem will inadvertently solve the original problem as well.

Scott, not sure if you have tried this but, Go to the CB website and, in you account, change your password.

I think the badges are tied to your logon id (as opposed to a database).  If badges are not being updated, it can't 'find' you (so to speak).

Not sure how many Items you have entered into your database but there are badges for inventory levels of 125, 200, 500, 1,000, 5,000, 10,000, and 50,000 issues.

Yes, I've changed password a couple of times and no change.

I have 6,265 comics currently in my database.  No badges for these.

I am really thinking that ComicBase for some reason doesn't recognize me on their end.  Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable enough on computer programming or networking to theorize any better than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my theory, if anyone from tech support is reading this:

When my ComicBase Express 2021 was purchased, a different email address was used than the one I subsequently changed it to in my account profile.  I am wondering if somewhere in ComicBases's system that email address is still associated with the account, and so it isn't accepting the new email address and password when I try to Submit New or Corrected Data.  The new email address and password work fine for signing in to get updates, etc.  I'm wondering if maybe whatever system controls the Submit New or Corrected Data section on the ComicBase end of things is not recognizing the changed email on my account.  Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, CHARLES CAROLLA said:

i have added notes to some copies of books in my collections (print runs, certificates).   i can log in the the webiste and the program accepts my login but the download covers and submit new or corrected data options are not active.  how can i submit this information

Try it again just in case it was a server issue when you last attempted.  (I have made some submissions this afternoon, and they seem to be getting to the server just fine.)  

If you are still encountering issues this afternoon, the problem is likely local to you and not the HC server.  Make sure that you have the most recent version of ComicBase.  If that checks out and you are still having problems, drop an email to support.  

On 7/24/2021 at 7:54 PM, CHARLES CAROLLA said:

i have added notes to some copies of books in my collections (print runs, certificates).   i can log in the the webiste and the program accepts my login but the download covers and submit new or corrected data options are not active.  how can i submit this information

you need to fully highlight the issues so any greyed out options become select-able.

column select.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...