Spawn #10 Kickstarter products

Mark, can you please take a look at the Spawn #10 Expanded and Remastered Kickstarter? 

How should we handle these issues in the database?  I assume that these should be listed as second prints of the original Spawn #10 even though the contents are not truly identical?  

By my count, I am seeing 13 different variants of this comic:  regular color covers A through D; gold variants for each of those (these have similar b&w artwork as for A through D); signed and numbered platinum variants for each of the regular covers (these have similar b&w artwork as for A through D but entirely different cover logos); and a deluxe signed and numbered with entirely different artwork than any of the A through D covers.  

So, I guess they should be listed as Spawn #10 2nd print Variant A through Variant D for the regular covers, Variant E through H for the golds, Variant I through L for the platinums, and Variant M for the Deluxe?

The site also mentions a "Halloween Variant (Make-Up Edition)" and a Sketch Variant.  I'm unclear as to whether or not those were actually printed.  

There is also "Supplemental Book" which is comic-sized and contains preliminary artwork and that sort of thing, all related to the new version of Spawn #10.  How should that be listed in the database?   Should it be Spawn #10 2nd printing Ashcan?  

These Kickstarter items have been shipped out and are starting to show up in backers' mailboxes, so I expect that there will be a need to catalog these into the database soon, it would be a good idea to have a plan in place now rather than later.  

Here are the indicia for the two comics.  The Spawn #10 is as the Kickstarter advertises: the first half of the book reprints Spawn #10 in b&w and the second half has story notes and b&w reproductions of the covers.  

The "supplemental book" is also as described:  lots of sketches and studies for Spawn #10, the kinds of things that often end up in promotional materials that often get listed in the database as an "ashcan."  

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4247.JPG

let me draft out what we're thinking for these...

Example for Cover A:

-The notes for these should be look something like "Remastered Edition Cover A; includes supplement book"; item number should be set to #10-A

-if there's a gold cover for this Cover A; then set the item number to #10-A-2; notes should state "Remastered Edition Gold Cover A; includes supplement book"

-the rest of the variants would follow this pattern

Thoughts?

*for the supplement book not sure what to set this as just yet; we don't think 'ashcan' is a good fit. How would you describe the contents for this? Mostly text and design commentary?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jesse Dubin said:

Thanks for working on this one.  I had the same questions, and it does seem a noteworthy enough issue to include.  It's certainly a low-print run variant of an early Spawn issue.

Haven't had a chance to make the actual submissions on this one yet.  Hoping to get to that tomorrow.  

• Like 1

OK, I finally got these submitted.  I got the complete list of variants from this link and used the images from there as well.  Note that Sim's store site doesn't have an image for the lenticular cover, so I don't have an image for that one. 

I set the cover price for all of these at "0.00" b/c there is literally not a price printed on the covers, but I used the retail prices from Sim's site to figure out what to put into the "Price" field.  

Note also that there is apparently an "ashcan" variant (which ended up as "variant G" in my list), that isn't me trying to sneak in the Supplemental Book.  

Speaking of which, we still need to figure out what to do with the Supplemental Book.  Here is what is in it:  

• Page 1: b&w version of the cover
  • Pages 2-13:  all of the redrawn panels and isolated figures that Sim redrew for the remastered edition
  • Pages 14-21 & inside back cover:  preliminary and work-in-progress artwork for the covers of the original and remastered editions
  • Pages 22-23:  artwork for the trading cards that were produced as part of the Kickstarter campaign
  • Page 24:  artwork (looks like a preliminary study for one of panels in the comic)
  • Back cover:  "old style" Cerebus drawing advertising cerebusoverload.com site

So how do we index the Supplemental Book?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mark J. Castaneda said:

Do you have a cover scan of #10-K btw?

The lenticular?  No, that was the only variant that didn't have a picture on the cerebusoverload store.  It exists since it was listed for purchase on the store site, but they don't have an image for it.  

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 3:39 PM, Gregory Hecht said:

The lenticular?  No, that was the only variant that didn't have a picture on the cerebusoverload store.  It exists since it was listed for purchase on the store site, but they don't have an image for it.  

I *finally* got around to getting the supplemental book submitted as Spawn #10-L.  Used the artwork file from the cerebusoverload store.  There is no cover price, so I used the price at the store ($40.00).  

The store also had a cover image for the lenticular version (10-K in Comicbase) that it did not have back in the spring, so I uploaded that as well.