Comicbase lagging badly ever since update to 2020

Patrick O’Malley

Howdy,

Ever since I upgraded to 2020 Archive edition, I've had major problems with the software. I had 2017 Archive edition previously.

1. It has been lagging to the point of appearing locked.

2. If I leave it alone to catch up with itself, it frequently is closed when I check in on it a few minutes later.

It is barely usable.  It takes me a couple day to input my new comics each week.  (Anywhere from 8 to 15 issues)

Anyone have any ideas?  

Thanks,

Pat

On 12/25/2019 at 6:45 AM, Patrick O’Malley said:

Howdy,

Ever since I upgraded to 2020 Archive edition, I've had major problems with the software. I had 2017 Archive edition previously.

1. It has been lagging to the point of appearing locked.

2. If I leave it alone to catch up with itself, it frequently is closed when I check in on it a few minutes later.

It is barely usable.  It takes me a couple day to input my new comics each week.  (Anywhere from 8 to 15 issues)

Anyone have any ideas?  

Thanks,

Pat

Do you know your system specs (Windows OS Version, RAM, Processor Speed, etc.)? Wonder if you're running on a computer that doesn't meet our min system requirements.

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
    Intel Core i5 @ 2.30GHz    38 °C
    Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G551VW (U3E1)
Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (ASUStek Computer Inc)    40 °C
    ForceWare version: 436.02
    SLI Disabled
Storage
    931GB Crucial CT1000MX500SSD1 (SSD)
Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUE1N
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Rebuilding the lists helped for a bit.  It's back to being very slow.  It was a slow 4 count for the titles window to popup and then an 11 count for the first character I typed to appear in the box.

The database is 648MB.  I've got 3,782 comics currently entered and another 13,000+ that I was slow and steadily entering.

Any help will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Pat

Sadly it does not appear to be db specific.  I created two test databases; one with all of my added fields, publishers, titles, etc.  and one with nothing of mine in it.  Both databases showed slowness and the crashed to desktop on me with in 10 minutes of working with them.  

My next option is uninstall the software as completely as I can and try again.

Is there a way to dump the data out of the database and then import it into a new fresh database?  Possibly a excel spread sheet or a couple csv files?

I'm very open to other ideas.  If you want to take a look at the database, I can set up a remote control session.

Thanks,

Pat

If the dbs weren't the problem then it has to be your computer. Your specs seem okay... I've seen computers with lower specs that run CB2020 pretty decently but not as slow as you describe.

Are there any other programs possibly running that could be shutdown or removed on your computer? If you have another computer available, you might try running the software on that.