MMPB (Mass Market Paperback) vs TPB (Paperback)

When entering Books into CB the Binding Type needs to be considered.
For this post, I am only addressing MMPB (Mass Market Paperback) and TPB (Paperback) in the United States.
NOTE: HC should have used Trade Paperback instead of just Paperback in the drop-down box to be less of a problem.

MMPB are smaller in size. Generally around 4.25 x 6.75 inches.

TPB are larger. Around 5.5 x 8.5 or 6 x 9 or even 8.5 x 11 inches.

Most of what most people thing of as Paperback books are MMPB.
Go to any drug store of grocery and just about all the softcover books you see are MMPB.

TPB are have better quality paper and are printed with a larger type-face. They are generally sold in Book Stores.

When enter books, check the size and use the correct Binding Type. This will help by not having to get these renamed later.

For example: The Avenger (Warner) has all the books in the series listed as TPB. They are not. They are MMPB and will all need to be renamed.

• Like 1

Thanks for this post, IMO this has been a source of confusion!   

2 hours ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

NOTE: HC should have used Trade Paperback instead of just Paperback in the drop-down box to be less of a problem.

Not only that, but HC made TPB the *default* format, so the ambiguous format ends up being used the most often, regardless as to whether it is the correct format.  

• 2 months later...

TYVM for the above. As I am one of "those" people who only recently understood the difference between MMPB and TPB... and have a sneaking suspicion I may be the one behind The Avenger paperbacks... would it be impolite to ask if it's possible to pull together in one place the actual criteria for the most often mis-used options in some of the primary categories; primarily Type and Variation?

Alternately, if these already exist, then would someone please point me at posts or articles that will help keep me from making more work for CB instead of being helpful?  Mostly I collect comics, books, ebooks (a whole different headache) because I read them, not because they are investments.  I don't know all the industry terminology off the top of my head.  I am learning tho.