staple-bound books

It seems that staple-bound books are now being classified as TPB. It could just be in the cases I have seen, but it seems curious. There is an option for staple-bound. Why not use it? The two examples I have at hand are the first printing of the Cerebus Guide to Self-Publishing and the Powers Encyclopedia. Both are packaged like standard comics, and both used to be listed as staple-bound but got switched to TPB.

Also, Powers Encyclopedia should be moved to comics, if you ask me. If OHOTMU and Who's Who are comics (please don't move them), then so is this. It is words and pictures telling a story, or at least fleshing out backstory. A story doesn't have to be a narrative in any strict sense and doesn't need to conform to any standard style to fall into our definition of comics. Epistolary novels are still novels. I'm not trying to open a big can of worms, and I'm not trying to make the argument that any magazine with illustrations should be a comic. I am just trying to appeal to general comic common sense and consistency, and want to make sure everyone is on the same page, so to speak.

5 hours ago, Michael Allen said:

IAlso, Powers Encyclopedia should be moved to comics, if you ask me. If OHOTMU and Who's Who are comics (please don't move them), then so is this. 

Fully agree!  

It really looks to me like some HC intern or automated program was unleashed on the database one day and was over-zealous in what got moved from comics to books.  Just look at all of the items mentioned on these boards that have had to be moved back into comics!  

Are you sure about that?

Looking at the index on Grand Comics Database (GCD), it appears to be about 15 pages of text (maybe with some illustrations) and a 4 page Grendel (comic) story.

I don't have it but if it is mostly a comic story, then it should be moved. Otherwise, I am not sure it should be.

PS It really doesn't matter to me where it goes.

1 hour ago, Michael Allen said:

History of Grendel, The: Devil in Reflection should be moved to comics.

The Grendel item was discussed over in this thread.  The consensus from the discussion seemed to be that it was a book but was admittedly borderline given the circumstances that @Michael E. Jacobson outline over in that thread and that @Steven L. Dasinger described above.  

I'm used to thinking about it as a comic b/c it was a promotional item for a comic series, but I can see the argument as to why it should be under the book category.