Harvey Horror's (sic)

2 hours ago, Douglas W. McCratic said:

In keeping with the new format with books being separated, should Harvey Horror's (sic) be moved over to the Books category?  It was only issued in hardcovers and TPBs.  Also, the apostrophe needs to be dropped regardless of where the title goes. 

Are the contents prose or comics?  The contents are the primary determinant as to the whether an item belongs in Books or Comics.  Looks to me like these are reprints of Harvey Comics issues and that they should stay in Comics.  

They are comics, but so is "The Great Comic Book Heroes" which is in books.  The first 53 pages of The Great Comic Book Heroes are prose with many illustrations, the remaining 134 are all comics.  I honestly don't care one way or the other, my rationale was that the Harvey Horrors were issued only as TPBs and HCs even though they only reprint floppies with introductions by modern authors. 

28 minutes ago, Douglas W. McCratic said:

They are comics, but so is "The Great Comic Book Heroes" which is in books.  The first 53 pages of The Great Comic Book Heroes are prose with many illustrations, the remaining 134 are all comics.  I honestly don't care one way or the other, my rationale was that the Harvey Horrors were issued only as TPBs and HCs even though they only reprint floppies with introductions by modern authors. 

Generally speaking, the primary determinant as to whether an item goes into Books or Comics is the content, not the construction. 

Somewhere along the line, a lot of titles got moved from Comics to Books, presumably either by an over-eager intern or an over-eager algorithm.  Many of the items were moved appropriately, but many others were moved inappropriately.  Great Comic Book Heroes may have been one of those items that was moved that should not have been.  

Yes. The line between Comic Books and Books is a little fuzzy.

Are Official Marvel Index to... Titles Books or Comic Books (currently in Comic Books). They are not stories. They are information on characters, creators, and have a synopsis, along with some illustrations (mostly of covers).

The same could be said about Planet Hulk: Gladiator Guidebook (which was recently moved from Books to Comic Books). It is not a comic story. Again, it is just information on characters and places.

So, are these Who's Who's, Guidebooks, Indexes, etc. considered Comic Books or Books? Per 'it is an illustrated story where the artwork is needed for the story (as opposed to just random/spot illustrations that if removed would make no difference)', then all of these are Books.

But I can see how some people would want them in Comic Books.

I can see both sides.  Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, The Great Comic Book Heroes genuinely belongs in books.  Reflecting on that opinion though, I'm not sure if it is based on the fact that it's been on my bookshelf for a couple of decades, that it is a hardback book with a dustcover (technically a book), that I first found it in a library, or what.  

It's not based on construction.  If it were, the hardbacks and TPBs collecting a story arc would need to be moved.  It's now often the case that the collections gets their own title. Putting that out there, is that a good idea?  As it is, we put them in the title that they reprint and that makes sense.  As best I can tell, we have been putting them into the individual series' listing and numbering them as Book 1, Book 2, etc., as they are released.  Stepping outside the head of a long-time user and looking in as a new user, would I ever find that Detective Comics Book 5 (according to CB) is under Detective Comics and not Batman Detective as it appears on the cover?   

I haven't slept for a couple of days again, so none of this may make sense at all if I were in my right mind.  Let's just say I'm brainstorming with half a brain or less....  

I'm slightly better rested than I was and looking over the last post, I stand by the whole thing.  "Batman Detective" reprints Detective Comics issues #821-826 and based on that, it belongs under the Detective Comics entry.  But in looking at the book, would anyone aside from us old dogs know where to begin?  There is no "5" on the book at all.  There is nothing on the exterior of the book to indicate that it is reprints any issues.  I've thought too about how many new title entries that would be and hundreds is on the low end, so it's not a great idea.