Star Wars #1 and 1st Reprint

And while we are on the subject, what is the difference between Star Wars #1/B and Star Wars #1/C?  The Notes field for both issues indicate "Whitman variant" and the scans both show the same cover price in a white diamond and no UPC code in the lower left box.  Assuming these two issues are in fact different things, I'm not seeing anything in the Notes field or in the scans that allows one to tell the two variants apart.  

Joel, it can make some sense.  The way the logic goes is a 2nd or 3rd print run is much lower print run (fewer issues printed) than a 1st printing. Therefore, it can be a rarer, hard to find version. That scarcity could cause a higher price.

I am not saying I agree with this logic, but there is enough validity to it that it can cause later printings to be priced higher than 1st printings.

Gregory, Photoshop may be involved but there is a difference between the cover scans of 1/B and 1/C.

Looking at the box to the left of the logo, (where the prince is located), 1/B has the word REPRINT down the left side next to Luke. 1/C does NOT have the word REPRINT.

If it is not altered, maybe the should be 1/B (but the one without the REPRINT) and 1/B-2 (the one with REPRINT).

Untitled-1.jpg

12 hours ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

Gregory, Photoshop may be involved but there is a difference between the cover scans of 1/B and 1/C.

Looking at the box to the left of the logo, (where the prince is located), 1/B has the word REPRINT down the left side next to Luke. 1/C does NOT have the word REPRINT.

If it is not altered, maybe the should be 1/B (but the one without the REPRINT) and 1/B-2 (the one with REPRINT).

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks, Steven, this is very helpful.  At a minimum there should be an update to the Notes field to clarify this. 

There may be problems in changing what is now 1/C to 1/B... so maybe delete 1/B and change what is now 1/B to 1/C-2?  (that way 1/C can stay the way that it is)

A quick check on eBay.  There are CGC 9.6 of both the 1st print and 2nd print available.

The original has an asking price of ~$2,400

The 2nd print has an asking price of ~$400

I think the pricing in ComicBase is wrong and should be reviewed.

Mark C, can you look into it?