Newsstand Versions

I know we have talked about this many times, but I just ran into an issue that I don't recall having seen before.  I know that overall, CB doesn't differentiate between direct and newsstand editions.  What about the situation where the direct edition has no UPC but the variant does?  CB has the direct version pictured with no UPC but the newsstand has a UPC on the cover that is not on the direct at all.  Is it better to make a separate entry or just add a UPC to a book that doesn't actually have one on it? 

• 1 year later...

Sorry, I was looking for info on another newsstand edition and found this.  The problem on Prime #4 isn't that the newsstand has one UPC and direct has another, the direct has no UPC at all.  Not on the front cover, not on the back cover....nowhere.  Additionally, #4 newsstand is a higher price, $2.50 which appears to be an exception on the other issues of this title.  The other newsstand versions all have the same price. 

Lack of a UPC isn't necessarily an indicator that the newsstand and direct versions should be listed has separate variants.  (Some direct sales issues of Kitty Pryde & Wolverine don't have a UPC, for instance.)

However, if there is a difference in the printed cover prices, then there should definitely be separate entries for those issues.  

It may be time to rethink the whole "newsstands aren't actually variants" stance.  CGC now recognizes them and the market has been placing greater value on high grade copies of newsstand editions for some time.  If I have the option of getting a book of the same grade for the same price in either newsstand or direct market, I'll take newsstand every day of the week.  Newsstand editions were rarely treated as collectibles, making them less likely to survive in high grade.  Also, as the direct market rose, the number of newsstand editions compared to direct market books dropped making them less common.