"Transfer Items" feature creates duplicates

Andrew d’Entremont

I started cleaning up my database today since I noticed that I had quite a few unrecognised titles. Some were due to the recent addition of the different media types, and some were due to input errors on my part.

I decided to use the "Transfer Items to a Different Title" feature, and while it did the job, in many cases it it created duplicates instead of just doing a one-for-one transfer. I believe this is because the the "Price" fields didn't match up, with a lot of the issues being transferred having gone up or down in value.

Is there a way of overriding the creation of duplicates? I'd rather have the issues I am transferring update to current market values rather than creating duplicates that maintains the value of the items being transferred.

Thanks!

It's a bit of both. Sometimes I'm just transferring issues from one comic title to another when I've got the title wrong, and sometimes I am transferring from comics to magazines. In both cases I've seen issues duplicated. As far as I can tell it happens when all the fields aren't exactly the same. At first I thought it was just the price field, but I've also noticed it happen when the notes are different too. 

Yup. As an example, I changed media type on Wizard Magazine from Comic Book to Magazine and the condition was the same, although several other fields were different, and it created a duplicate. The same thing happens when I just transfer from one title to another within the same media type. 

Screenshot 2021-08-12 164143.jpg

Edited by Andrew d’Entremont

If (AND ONLY IF) the title you are moving the issues into has NO ITEMS IN STOCK, here is an easy hack for you.  

Let's suppose you are moving something in your database from a comics title to a magazine title, and that you have no items in stock in the magazine title:

1.  Delete the magazine title (the one you want to move your inventory into)

2.  Go to the comics title (the one you want to move your inventory out of)

3.  Change the media type for the comics title from comics to magazine.  

4.  When you do your next content update, the update process will clean up the new magazine title that now includes your inventory.  

There are variations on the above that you can do (such as deleting issues with no inventory in the destination title) prior to moving your existing inventory into there.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 4:42 PM, Gregory Hecht said:

If (AND ONLY IF) the title you are moving the issues into has NO ITEMS IN STOCK, here is an easy hack for you.  

Let's suppose you are moving something in your database from a comics title to a magazine title, and that you have no items in stock in the magazine title:

1.  Delete the magazine title (the one you want to move your inventory into)

Gregory,

How do you "Delete the magazine file?"  I have a number of issues listed in "Wizard: The Comics Magazine" with that title being Comic Book format.  I want to move them over the the Magazine format.  But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to delete the title as you mentioned above.

Thanks!

Timothy. You don't delete the Title directly (unfortunately). Instead, just delete all the Item #s (issues) and the Title will automatically be deleted.

You can do this by going to the Title (in Magazines), use CTRL+A to select all the Item #'s, then Right-click the mouse and select Delete from the pop-up menu.

Technically, you just need to delete the potential duplicate Item #s, so if you only have 1 or 2, it might be easier to just delete the couple of Item #'s. But if you have a lot (or a lot on non-consecutive ones), deleting all is probably easier.

13 hours ago, Timothy S. Kilbreath said:

Gregory,

How do you "Delete the magazine file?"  I have a number of issues listed in "Wizard: The Comics Magazine" with that title being Comic Book format.  I want to move them over the the Magazine format.  But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to delete the title as you mentioned above.

Thanks!

You can do this by bringing up the "Modify Title" pop-up window.  I am running CB off of a virtual Windows machine using Parallels on a Mac, and I can do this using the "control T" key command.  I am pretty sure that genuine Windows users can do this using "right-click T".   ("Modify Title" used to be in a pulldown menu, but as far as I can tell, that menu item vanished with CB 2020 or 2021, so now it is essentially a "secret hack." ) 

Within the pop-up window, select the title that you want to delete.  Click the "Modify" button at the bottom of the pop-up window.  

You should now see a pop-up that allows you to edit the title info for the title that you selected.  Look at the bottom of that window and you should see a "Remove" button.  Click that to delete the selected title.  

"With great power comes great responsibility."  Use this feature wisely as I believe that I can delete titles for which you have inventory in stock.  If you delete a genuine title that is in the CB master database, the title will be restored when you do your next content update... but content updates can't restore your deleted inventory.  

2 hours ago, Adam Sternberg said:

@Gregory Hecht, on Windows, "control T" brings up the "Titles" pop-up.  There's also the folder icon in the upper right (between the "Previous Title" and "Next Title" triangle arrow buttons)

The "Titles" pop-up is the window that I think you are looking for.  Does it have a "Modify" button in it?  If so, then that is what you are looking for.  

• Like 1