Report on cover dates

Rick Brenner

35 minutes ago, Douglas W. McCratic said:

There is a magnifying glass at the top search bar, click it.  It will open a window with a drop down menu, click it and go to "Advanced Find"

Beyond that, there is a thread at the top of the Tech Support page to help with the syntax to get what you're looking for. 

I can't find the advanced find. When I click the magnifying glass I get a box where you can choose "released this week", and there is a choice for choosing an item field, which is where I can pick "cover date". So I can look up specific cover dates. But it lists EVERYTHING. I don't see an advanced way to choose just "Marvel". 

If you have it, to get to Advanced Find, start a Search (CTRL+F, or click on the magnifying glass in the top center of the window  or use Items->Find...

In the Find drop-down box, when you click it, Advanced Find should be at the bottom. See Attached. If it doesn't show up, then you don't have the correct Edition to use it (I think only Pro and Archive have it).

Advanced Find.JPG

11 minutes ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

If you have it, to get to Advanced Find, start a Search (CTRL+F, or click on the magnifying glass in the top center of the window  or use Items->Find...

In the Find drop-down box, when you click it, Advanced Find should be at the bottom. See Attached. If it doesn't show up, then you don't have the correct Edition to use it (I think only Pro and Archive have it).

Advanced Find.JPG

Well I guess the free version does not have the advanced find. Bummer because I do not want to buy the upgrade until I am satisfied with the software, and this function is important to me. I have the other choices in the drop down box but not the "advanced find". 

With Advance Find, yes. However...

Not all Item #s have a Cover date. Annuals are hit and miss and most Books (especially modern ones) don't. So you may not get a complete list.
NOTE: I have Custom Fields available and have set up one of the Custom Dates to be Publication Date so I could enter a date for all these problem Item #s.

It uses an unsupported 'feature' called ComicTitles.Publisher. You can't select this from the Fields list as it isn't in the Issues Table.
I included QtyInStock to just return Item #s that you own. If you want all, you can remove it.
The date needs to be entered in ISO format (YYYY-MM-MM) and all values need to be used (i.e. 01 instead of just 1).

For a Single Cover Date:
I.QtyInStock >= 1 AND ComicTitles.Publisher = 'Marvel' AND I.CoverDate = '2021-01-01'

For a Range of Cover Dates:
I.QtyInStock >= 1 AND ComicTitles.Publisher = 'Marvel' AND I.Cover Date BETWEEN '2020-01-01' AND '2020-12-31' AND ComicTitles.Publisher = 'Marvel'

Once you get the Find result, select everything (CTRL+A), then Right-click and from the pop-up menu select either Quick Reports or Report Select Titles As (then one of the Report types).

3 minutes ago, Steven L. Dasinger said:

With Advance Find, yes. However...

Not all Item #s have a Cover date. Annuals are hit and miss and most Books (especially modern ones) don't. So you may not get a complete list.
NOTE: I have Custom Fields available and have set up one of the Custom Dates to be Publication Date so I could enter a date for all these problem Item #s.

It uses an unsupported 'feature' called ComicTitles.Publisher. You can't select this from the Fields list as it isn't in the Issues Table.
I included QtyInStock to just return Item #s that you own. If you want all, you can remove it.
The date needs to be entered in ISO format (YYYY-MM-MM) and all values need to be used (i.e. 01 instead of just 1).

For a Single Cover Date:
I.QtyInStock >= 1 AND ComicTitles.Publisher = 'Marvel' AND I.CoverDate = '2021-01-01'

For a Range of Cover Dates:
I.QtyInStock >= 1 AND ComicTitles.Publisher = 'Marvel' AND I.Cover Date BETWEEN '2020-01-01' AND '2020-12-31' AND ComicTitles.Publisher = 'Marvel'

Once you get the Find result, select everything (CTRL+A), then Right-click and from the pop-up menu select either Quick Reports or Report Select Titles As (then one of the Report types).

That's a bit techie over my head! But I guess you need "advanced find" to use things like "ComicTitles.Publisher" anyway? I sure don't see where to find that.

You are correct. Need Advanced Find but it isn't something you can select. You have to type it in yourself.

One more slightly off topic comment.

When deciding on which Edition of CB to get, the Pro Edition indicates it has 50,000 covers. But what surprises some people is that is spread over 60,000+ Titles. This ends up with 1 (maybe 2) cover per most (but not all) Titles. You can add you own cover scans but most issues do not have covers. For that you would need the Archive Edition (or the 4K Archive Edition).