Comicbase update does not allow access to Comicbase servers

Thomas Conroy

Typically, this is a firewall issue--Basically ComicBase is sending out a request to see what the latest update for your software is, but the firewall is blocking the response, so you get an error message.

To troubleshoot issues like this;

1. Make sure you're running the most recent version of ComicBase--uninstall/download from My Account > Registrations/Reinstall if not. Note: I just put out a build 1902 which adds additional troubleshooting info to that error message--please message me directly with a screen shot if you are having trouble after following the steps of this and I'll try to help you investigate further.

2. Make sure you can connect to comicbase.com with your web browser. 

3. Temporarily turn off _all_ your security/firewall software (you may have multiple firewalls running) and test to see if you can connect to the server using a Check for Updates in ComicBase

4. Once you are able to make a connection, turn on your security software/firewalls one by until you find the culprit. Then, make sure both ComicBase and ComicBase Sidekick are allowed as exceptions.

Note: ComicBase and ComicBase are automatically added as exceptions during install to the default Windows firewall--if that's all your using for security, you shouldn't have any problem connecting. If you're running other security suites, you need to make sure both ComicBase and ComicBase Sidekick are added as allowed programs, or they won't be able to reach the server to check for updates.

If you're really stuck, give support a call--we may be able to help troubleshoot the problem

-Pete

We're also investigating whether certain characters in the user id/pw might be playing a part in this issue (possibly by being rejected by server software as looking like an invalid request). If you're having the problem after installing build 1903 and following steps 1-4, please reach out to support directly at support@comicbase.com.