"Cover price" total of my collection

Lyle Brown

Short answer is that CB has no direct way to give you Cover Price totals you are looking for.
(Mainly, I think, because Cover Price has no real meaning for a collection (like Cost (what you paid) or Price (what it is worth)).

I can think of a couple of ways to do this. But they take some work.

1) Work out side of CB

Run a Find where Quantity in Stock is >= 1 (you own it).
(Make sure you can get as many rows displayed as possible by setting Preference 'Rows to Display in Grid view')
Select all the cells in the Cover Price column (click the first cell, go to the bottom, press and hold SHIFT while clicking in the last cell).
Use CTRL+C to copy the date.
Paste the data into a spreadsheet.
Sum the values in the spreadsheet.
NOTE: if you have more comics than can be displayed at one time, you will need to advance to the next 'page' of results and repeat the Select, Copy, Paste process.

2) Let CB do the work for you (in a destructive way).

NOTE: Do this on a COPY of you database. DO NOT do this on your actual database.
Run a Mass Change.
Change: Cost
To: Cover Price
Apply to ALL Titles
You will get a warning that this change can not be undone.
Did I mention you should only do this to a Copy of your database?
After the change (done on the copy, correct...?)
Run a Collection Report.
The last page will get you the Total Cost (which is identical to Cover Price at this point).

Steven,

I followed your steps...

Run a Mass Change.
Change: Cost
To: Cover Price
Apply to ALL Titles
You will get a warning that this change can not be undone.
Did I mention you should only do this to a Copy of your database?
After the change (done on the copy, correct...?)
Run a Collection Report.
The last page will get you the Total Cost (which is identical to Cover Price at this point).

After running the Collection Report, the Cost amount total was the exact same on my Copy database as the Cost amount total on my original database, exactly the same.  Weird, so I manually checked and sure enough, on my Copy database all of the Cost and Cover prices matched, so that was fine.  So I then ran Collection Statistics under File on my Copy database and there the Cost amount total changed and is now showing the actual Cover price total.  Perfect!

Your steps worked perfectly and I obtained the information I was looking for.  Not sure why the Collection Report and the Collection Statistics are not identical though.  Thanks again.

Follow up...

It appears that after you make the Mass Change, you need to run Rebuild Lists (I all except the Pictures list but probably just need Item Information (which list 'recalculates totals' as part of its processing)).

Before Rebuild Lists:

Collection Report displayed Cost (Cover Price) as: 2,683.09.

After Rebuild Lists:

Collection Report displayed Cost (Cover Price) as 93,469.62.

NOTE: In both cases the Collection Statistics had 93,469.62.

So, either run Rebuild Lists to get the correct information or just use Collection Statistics.

One more thing I had pointed out to me.

If you have Qty of 2 or more for an issue, the values you get won't be quite accurate.

If this is the case, and you want more exact values, you would need to do option 1 (copy Cover Price AND Qty in to a spreadsheet). Then multiply Cover Price by Qty to get all of the issues counted.

For example, if Qty is 2 and Cover Price is 1.00, option 2 would only be 1.00 while option 2 would be 2 x 1.00 or 2.00.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a way that is a little easier (a variation of option 1, copy then paste to spreadsheet).

Use File->Collection Statistics
Use Show drop-down box to select 'Comic Books' (or whatever type you want the information for)
Use Show Breakdown By: drop-down box to select 'Cover Price'
Use CTRL+A to select all rows in the display.
Use CTRL+C to copy the information.
Then Paste into a spreadsheet.

After that, you just need to multiply Cover Price by Total Qty and sum this amount to get cover price of your entire collection (with duplicates accounted for).