trade paperbacks and scanning

a friend gave me a scanner that is only picking up the first 13 digit, without the extra 4.

this works fine for comic books, but when i scan a trade paerback - comic base can't find it.  I have another program for my book collection and it can identify the paperback from th 13 digit code.

example

actual scan9781302921583

full number 9781302921583 + 51799

Dawn of X TP.

Any suggestions?

CB has 2 fields: UPC and ISBN
(There is also an AltUPC but that can be ignored for now)

For modern Books the UPC is the composed of a composite of ISBN-13 + a checksum + Price
ISBN contains the ISBN-10 number.
(You can try to put the ISBN-13 there but if you the entire value in UPC and TAB out of the field, it will automatically fill in the ISBN-10 number (as CB decodes it).

For your scanner to work successfully, it must be able to pick up the last 5 digits (get the full UPC). If it doesn't it will pick up what is the ISBN-13 number that is not stored in CB.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to set up your scanner. You will need to get a manual for it which should have the codes to set it up properly, if it is capable of doing so. Not all scanners can do this.

Your other book software must store the ISBN-13 number which is why it works there.

PS Alt UPC is used when some older books have two UPC number.
For example, Book title 'Losers, The (Del Rey)' MMPB has 07099900599738520 on the back cover and 978034538520850599 on the inside of the front cover.

• Like 1