Some label questions

Ron Stoecker

I pulled the trigger and got the Archive edition and I'm working through how I will be using this.  I sell comics at shows and markets from time to time.   One of the features I like is the label printing capability.  One problem I'm having is if I own 10 copies of the same book and want to label / sell maybe 1 or 2 copies for an upcoming show the system does not give me the option to just print one or two labels.  It assumes I want to print 10 labels.

Are there plans to add more customization of fields on the label?  Maybe allow for 1 or 2 additional data fields that can be custom content.  Also allowing for a blank price so you can enter your own price since Comicbase prices lag behind the market.

Thanks

Ron

Here are a couple of thoughts. They may or may not help depending on what and how many you are processing. I am looking at the Price Labels report.

I am assuming you have one Issue with a Qty 10 (as an example).

One thing you can do is duplicate the issue and have (up to) 10 individual issues instead of 1.

Then, when you process labels, you can select the Title and only the issues you want labels for and not the others.

Another possibility, if you are not selling all of your comics, is to create 2 databases. One for your collection and for for sales.

In the Sales database, you can just list the 2 or 3 issues you want to sell (if you want to print all labels at this point, you don't have to duplicate the issue but you can if it helps).

As for the Price, you can change the Price in CB.  There is an option to Lock Price so CB doesn't change it (although some have reported that it could still get changed under certain circumstances).

Thanks Steven, I guess there are workarounds.  It's odd they don't follow typical conventions for printing.  In most applications (Word, Excel, etc)  When you print something you have options to print 1 page, all, series of pages, etc.  You also have options to print one or many copies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 1:12 PM, Steven L. Dasinger said:

Another possibility, if you are not selling all of your comics, is to create 2 databases. One for your collection and for for sales.

In the Sales database, you can just list the 2 or 3 issues you want to sell (if you want to print all labels at this point, you don't have to duplicate the issue but you can if it helps).

Barcodes aren't consistent between databases. If they're two entirely separate databases that like correspond to comics that are clearly delineated, then that's fine. But if you have an issue in the "sales db" that you sell and want to remove from the other db, or something like that, it can be tricky.

Anyway, I actually know of another couple potential workarounds. So first of all, when I try to print something with qty > 1, then I get this prompt when I click "Print" or "Preview":
image.png.9b31f7d44fb090c30af7f532e69b9c0c.png

Speaking of Preview, the preview window actually lets us export the print as a file.image.thumb.png.57a6cdb7631972a4e0c1f98bb36b19d7.png

That highlighted button
in the top left there allows you to export the "report" to an Excel or Word document, among other things.
image.png.d92ac3fa92f1ace37a58b74dc8a98b54.png
You need to be careful, as the margins might not be perfect or something. I'd recommend a test print on normal paper. I tried to delete some labels in LibreOffice and that proved to be a pain; it could be better in MS Word proper. But this might be a potential way to manipulate labels.

Edited by Dylan Colborne
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...