Adding a Custom Category?

Roy Gosselin

Hi, I'm new to Comicbase. My collection currently consists of 84 boxes (mostly short boxes). I've numbered the Boxes and included the Box Number in my handmade paper files. As I start to move the data from my paper files to Comicbase, is there any way I can Add a Custom Category (in this case, the Box Number) to Comicbase?

I own the most recent version of Comicbase Express. I owned other versions before but found that the Cover art work files took up too much space on my computer. So is there any work around on this? If I were to use the "Letterer" custom column and entered "Box 1, Box 2,etc." could I then sort my comics by Boxes/Letterers?

Also I'm having some issues figuring out the basics. I can't save anything I enter, Comicbase just wiped out an entire title ( it shows the title but no other information underneath) when I tried to do  test entries.

ds there a Primer somewhere? Comicbase TV doesn't help with this basic stuff. Thanks  

You can use another column but it may be overwritten by an update.

One possibility is the Notes column and then check the box to Lock Items Notes which won't allow the update to add to existing information.

Not sure of you disk space, but my picture folder takes up 56.5 GB of space. I have the Archive Edition. The Professional Edition only have a tenth as many covers and would take up about 5 GB.  That isn't really a lot of space but it depends on your computer drive and how much space you have.

= = = = = =

Not sure why or what you mean about not saving. It is either there or it isn't. The only thing that should delete anything is you or the update process (but only if you don't own an Issue (qty >= 1 for an Issue)).

If you have a Title and you want to add an issue, click on the + of the + / - button in the lower right corner in the top part of the display.

This will open a window with the next number issue. You can fill out / change what you like then click the Save button.

If you need to add a new Title (or Issue), you can use CTRL + N, menu item Items->New Comic Books or Items->New->Comic Comic Book (or Book or Magazine).

First it will ask for a Title (either a new Title or an existing Title), then it will go to the New Issue window.

Thanks, I've been playing around with my Express version. I don't see where you can "Lock" the "Notes" column/field or any other column/field.

With Express can I run a report that will show my individual issues; condition, cost, value and info from the "Notes" or "Letterer"fields?

If I did upgrade to "Pro" and used on of the available Custom columns/fields; would I be able to produce a report that would show the info I entered in the custom field for each Issue?

Another question - I changed the Grading/Condition values and Fields to show a greater variance ( I added Good/Very Good; Very Good -, Very Good +, etc.) Those changed Condition indicators show up in the "my Collection" database; but don't show up when I'm entering info in the system. Help!

Thanks again. 

If I did upgrade to "Pro" and used on of the available Custom columns/fields; would I be able to produce a report that would show the info I entered in the custom field for each Issue?

I don't run reports much but the Collection report, Items Checklist and Price Lists all have the option to include any or all of the Custom columns on it.