Cover Scan -don't replace option

Larry Robertson

I'd like a tick box on a per issue level to protect a cover scan from replacement. This would stop the cover download weekly updates from replacing that specific scan. I do size all of my scans to 2160 pixel height (4k) but it would still be possible for a downloaded scan to replace this based on file size -yes?

34 minutes ago, Larry Robertson said:

I do size all of my scans to 2160 pixel height (4k) but it would still be possible for a downloaded scan to replace this based on file size -yes?

The Update Options (when you manually start an Update in CB or in Sidekick) there is a check box 'Replace smaller existing pictures'.
If you Uncheck this, it shouldn't replace any covers.
If you Check it, it should only replace covers that are smaller in your database than the one the Update has.
(Also, the Update only has covers for that particular Update and not the entire database.)

However, if you manually select one or more issues, right-click and select Download covers, it will download and replace (regardless of size) the current one in the database.
NOTE: This may or may not still be the case. There was some discussion about it and I don't recall the specifics.

Additionally, in ComicBase Preferences, there is a check box for 'Automatically download larger pictures when viewing them'.
This is mainly for those who chose the Quick Start Picture install (a process that only loads thumbnail size covers saving time and space. Then, when you view a cover it will automatically download and display the full size cover).
However, it, too, had some issues about downloading and replacing any cover (regardless of size). Again, this may have been fixed but I don't use this process to be sure.

PS to ensure this process work for the best, you should run the Rebuild Lists for Picture files to ensure all the picture size information is populated.

Basically I want my own scans that I made protected but I want ALL other scans always replaced with the best possible. I did use the Quick Start Picture install as I don't need/want thousands of Superman covers (or other stuff I don't care for!) taking up anymore space than required.

So you can see how none of the existing methods really fit my scenario!

Ah well. My solution for now is to maintain a separate archive of my scans that mirrors the main title folder & naming structure of CB. That way I can always put back any possible replacements should they occur (and I notice).