Database Selection Required Adding Comics Through the Mobile App

Kenneth Horneman

Hi,

I don't know if there's been an update to the mobile app, but prior to just recently, when I added comics to my collection on the mobile app, I never had to select the database. I only have one database for all of my comics. Now, however, when I add comics, the database is defaulted to ComicBase Database, and if I don't change it to my actual database, then the desktop app doesn't recognize them as new purchases and won't add them to my collection. Furthermore, even if I change the database, it reverts as soon as I go to add another item, so I have to change the database for every single item I'm adding. I tried updating to ComicBase 2024 on the desktop app, but the behavior is the same with either version of the desktop app. This is a major difficulty, as there's no way to tell when I accidentally forget to change the database, since, AFAIK, there's no way to view pending purchases waiting to be added to your collection. 

Thanks,

Kenny

Try going to the ComicBase website an selecting My Account / Profile.
Scroll down to Known Databases.
Check the Database drop-down box. If there are databases there you dont want, select them and click Remove.
Note: You Can delete all entries then go to you ComicBase and use menu item File->Collection Statistics (or F12).
Thie will populate the database to you My Account / Profile. (it may take a bit of time to show up.)

Thanks, that seemed to fix that issue. However, in entering this batch of comics, I found another bug. Whenever I add a comic that I already have a copy of it and the new comic is of a different grade from the old comic, it sets the quantity of the new grade to two, rather than one.

Thanks,

Kenny

On 10/6/2023 at 4:42 PM, Kenneth Horneman said:

Thanks, that seemed to fix that issue. However, in entering this batch of comics, I found another bug. Whenever I add a comic that I already have a copy of it and the new comic is of a different grade from the old comic, it sets the quantity of the new grade to two, rather than one.

Thanks,

Kenny

Hey Kenny, I'm not getting the result you're getting (unless i'm misunderstanding what you're running into).

When i scan the same comic issue in the 'add by barcode' menu, set a different grade for each then save, i see those 2 issues are listed as 2 separate items, each in a different grade.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply. I'm attaching some screen prints that may help. The situation is that I already have a comic book in my database with a grade other than NM (in this case Space Family Robinson #40 with a grade of 4.0). I add a new copy of the same issue on the mobile app with a different grade (NM in this case). Then I load my new purchases through the computer app. The result, as shown in the screenshot, is that I end up with three comics in the database, the original CGD 4.0 comic, and a NM comic with a quantity of TWO. It feels like what happens is that the CGC 4.0 record got copied, with a quantity of one, and then that got incremented to a quantity of two. Of course, this isn't correct, as I've only added one new comic. Also, it looks like the "price" of the CGC 4.0 comic is copied as well, so that the new NM comic does not have the correct value associated with it. I also noticed that the yearly price history for the 4.0 comic is actually the price history for a NM comic and isn't scaled by the condition, but maybe that is intentional? The screenshots show that the total quantity before the add was one (on the report, sorry I didn't screen print the computer app before I got started), the screen on the mobile app I used to do the addition, and the final result after the new issues were loaded. Let me know if you need any other information. I should add that this behavior is consistent, occurring every time I add a new comic through the mobile app of a different condition than an a comic I already own.

Thanks,

Kenny

Screenshot 2023-11-08 180237.png

Screenshot_20231107-214351.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_180018.jpg

Edited by Kenneth Horneman

after a bit of trial and error, i think this is what's happening...

If you have copy of a particular issue (ex: Batgirl (5th Series) #1) already in stock (qty 1) in a specific condition (ex: NM) THEN add through the mobile app the same issue at a different condition (ex: VF), a qty of 2 will be added in VF instead of just 1 when you sync the addition in the main software. That sound about right?

On 10/4/2023 at 8:48 PM, Steven L. Dasinger said:

Try going to the ComicBase website an selecting My Account / Profile.
Scroll down to Known Databases.
Check the Database drop-down box. If there are databases there you dont want, select them and click Remove.
Note: You Can delete all entries then go to you ComicBase and use menu item File->Collection Statistics (or F12).
Thie will populate the database to you My Account / Profile. (it may take a bit of time to show up.)

I'm sorry to have to cycle back around to my original problem. But, despite deleting it multiple times, the "ComicBase Database" keeps popping back up on my list of databases. This database is always the default Database when adding new comics through the mobile app, even if I'm viewing my own database when I go to add. So, I've three times added a bunch of comics to the wrong database, after successfully removing all the databases but one and later having "ComicBase Database" appear again. Is there a way to prevent this from continuing to show up on my list?

Thanks,
Kenny

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for continuing to provide me with information on this. At the moment, Sidekick doesn't appear to be working at all. As noted above, I had installed CB Pro 2024 through the desktop app. My version is currently showing as 24.0.0.823. However, there wasn't a new folder created for CB 2024, and the executable is in the CB 2023 folder, as you can see from the screenprint below. Trying to run Sidekick from that executable doesn't successfully launch anything. Please let me know if I should attempt a clean install of either CB 2023 or CB 2024. 

image.png.099bbc964f77dff363151cd1a70ee94f.png

• 2 weeks later...